I Want to Get a Rhinoplasty Done, but I Have Extremely Large Pores on and Around my Nose. Would This Be a Problem?

I've had extremely large pores since I was eleven, which is when I developed severe acne. Since then I have taken Accutane, which has cleared up my acne, and I have been using retin-a for years, but they are still abnormally and extremely large. Would this prevent me from having this procedure done?

Large Pores and Rhinoplasty

+1

Thick skin can affect the level of refinement of a nose, but this aspect should not affect being able to perform the procedure. Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Large nose pores

+1

You may still be a good candidate for rhinoplasty. However, if you have thick oily skin on your nose it does limit the ability to get you a really refined result with nice definition. You just need to be aware of this before surgery so your expectations are realistic.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Large pores will not be a problem during rhinoplasty

+1

Large pores will not be an issue, per se, following rhinoplasty. Large pores are associated with thicker skin which can reduce some of the definition created during the procedure. Porous nasal skin can be improved with good skin care, including RetinA which you're taking, as well as laser skin resurfacing. It is important stop Accutane and to not undergo laser resurfacing until your skin has begun producing oil again which typically takes at least 6-12 months. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Large Pores

+1

Dear SavyGirl:

Large pores are not a contraindication for rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty is performed to change the shape of the nose. Since this is accomplished by changing the structures under the skin, the skin's texture is independent from what nose reshaping surgery does.

Large pores can be associated with thicker skin, and this can limit some of the refinement possible with rhinoplasty. Also rhinoplasty will not improve large pores. I am sure that your rhinoplasty surgeon will reviews the pros and the cons with you, before you decide whether to proceed.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and large pores.

+1

As long as no external incisions are made around the outer part of your nostrils it will not be a problem. You should be off Accutane for 2 years before surgery. 

Rhinoplasty and large pores

+1

SavyGirl-

Having large pores is not a contraindication to nasal surgery. That being said- skin type and skin thickness are very important characteristics of a nose and may even guide a surgeon to one technique over another. If the surgeon you choose recommends an external (open) approach, the incision used is on the delicate skin between the nostrils. Even in patients with thick skin and large pores elsewhere, this incision heals extremely well if put together right. If the recommendation is to make incisions near the outside of the nostrils in order to narrow them- this is where scarring may be an issue. Make sure you review all of these factors during the consultation. 

Hope this is helpful!

David Lieberman, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon