I Want to Get Laser Treatment for Facial Hair?

I want to get laser treatment for facial hair. I have thin or fine hairs and fair complexion. I have visited some doctors and all are giving me different advice. One doctor said it wont be useful for me as i have very thin hair. One suggested me to go for DDE laser and two of the doctors told me to go for IPL. But in IPL they said they will shave my hairs first. Please suggest me which technique will be useful for me?

Laser Hair Removal - Facial Hair

+1

Thank you for your question. I am not a big IPL fan for facial hair.  The ONLY laser I have found beneficial for fine facial hair is the 755nm Alexandrite.  Using the Candela 755 has been very effective in removing a large amount. of lighter colored fine facial hair which is usually very difficult to treat.  The Cynosure also worked well, but not quite as well.  The Candelas ability to use very short pulse widths enabled us to treat the fine hair effectively so the growth is slower, shorter, and less visible.  Expecting about 50-75% reductions has been reasonable in our hands. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with expertise in laser surgery and for the most effective and safe treatments. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Facial hair that is light or fine is more difficult to treat

+1

The finer the hair, and the lighter the color (red, white, grey), the more difficult to treat.  The easiest hair to remove permanently by the laser is dark and coarse.  I have both  the IPL and Gentlase for laser hair removal but unless your hair is very dark, it is more difficult to treat.

Michele S. Green, MD

Light based hair removal

+1

We have used a variation of light based hair removal, known as Photodynamic Therapy for thick white hairs. No technique is highly successful for the removal of fine hairs.

David Goldberg, MD

Best Laser Hair Removal Treatment

+1

A wide variety of medical lasers and light systems are used to remove unwanted hair, however most lasers are not effective for all skin types and hair colors. The Elos laser hair removal system is designed for permanent hair reduction by combining both optical and radiofrequency energy to deliver satisfying, longer lasting results with less discomfort than previous laser systems. All skin and all hair colors including gray and blonde hair are effectively treated. Faces, backs, arms, legs, faces, and bikini lines can be treated including those individuals with darkly pigmented skin. Treatments are administered every 4 weeks and generally 3 to 5 treatments are sufficient.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Laser Hair Removal for Facial Hair

+1

What makes Laser Hair Removal successful is determined by the amount of pigment in the hair follicle. Blonde and Grey hair have less pigment than darker hair, as well as thinner hair has less pigment than thicker hair. The energy from the laser is drawn into the follicle by the pigment while in its third growth stage known as the Telogen stage. If the facial hair is dark, yet fine in texture, laser hair reduction may not be as successful, simply because there is less pigment. The goal is to have a realistic expectation of the results.  Either treatment may work, the choice is really yours. The purpose of shaving prior to the IPL treatment is to protect your surface skin from any potential harm.

Steve Laverson, MD