I Want to Cancel my Rhinoplasty, but I've Already Paid in Full?

I've paid 10k in full for my upcoming rhinoplasty, but I feel uneasy about the surgeon I've chosen. I do not want this surgery to happen. Will I be able to get my money back?

Refund for Rhinoplasty

+2

There are no rules for this, but you should look at whatever documents you signed for the surgeon's policy.  He or she will likely give you back what is stipulated within that policy.

Contact your Surgeon.

+2

The best idea is to contact your surgeon and explain that you are not able to go forward with the surgery.  You should not feel bad about saying what you have said here.  Most surgeons do not want to operate on someone who is not comfortable with them.  The sooner you do it, the more likely that you may be able to work something out.  Good Luck.  RB

Ramin Behmand, MD

Rhinoplasty surgeons have written fee policy.

+1

Hi.

You should be aware what your surgeon's policy is about refunds.  Typically at least part of the fees are not refundable.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Refund for Cancelling Surgery

+1

Hi,

Usually surgeons will have a financially agreement policy that states a timeline and reund policies. So if you cancel a week before the procedure you may be entitled to a 75% refund, 2 days - 50% refund... etc. Most likely you will get some money back.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Possible Refund for Cancelled Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

The answer is - it depends. It really depends on how close you are to your surgical date. If you are within several weeks, it is likely there is a cancellation policy that was provided to you by your surgeon. Most offices have these in place for circumstances like yours that might arise.

When you booked your surgery, I am sure your surgeon's office began making the necessary plans to perform the surgery on that date. This included reserving the surgeon's time, the anesthesiologist's time and the supporting staff's time (registered nurses, techs, etc). These many professionals, in the meantime, have given up other opportunities to do other work. When you cancel close to the time of surgery, it is unlikely that these professionals are going to be able to fill your time slot with comparable work. Therefore, the patient has to pay some sort of fee to compensate for these losses. 

Call your surgeon's office to get clarification on their particular policy.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Fees

+1

This is an issue that only one person can answer: your Surgeon.  The only thing a Surgeon gets paid for is his/ her time, hence the general requirement that surgeries be paid in advance.  Different Surgeons have different financial policies. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Aper88,

I suggest you contact your surgeon ASAP.  The closer you get to the surgical date, the less likely you are to get your money back. Each doctor's office has different policies in place in regards to this, so you should discuss this with your surgeon. 

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)