I Had Upper Blepharoplasty 10 Days Ago to Fix my Hooded Lids? (photo)

I had upper blepharoplasty 10 days ago to fix my hooded lids. One eyelid now has no hooding, but my right eye is still hooded and seems to get progressively worse instead of better. I realize this is very soon after surgery, but it is such a large difference that I don't know if "waiting it out" will improve the situation. Once all the swelling recedes, will my lid pull the skin more taught, for a more smooth appearance, or will more skin hang over the lid for more hooding?

You may have had mild ptosis before surgery

+2

Thank you for the question and photos.  It appears you may exhibit a mild ptosis of the eyelids in your before photos.  As some of the light stimulus is taken away with the blepharoplasty the brows have seem to come down a little and return the ski laxity close to where it was before.  Give your body a chance to heal first.  You may want to assess ad address the ptosis on your next eyelid surgery.

Dr Remus Repta

10 days post upper blepharoplasty with asymmetry

+1

Thank you for the photos.  You were asymmetric before the surgery and underwent the procedure for improvement.  You will most likely not be perfectly symmetrical afterward.  You are early in the post operative course.  Swelling needs to still decrease. Best to inform your plastic surgeon about your concerns.  He/she will know if they had to do more work on one side or the other.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

I Had Upper Blepharoplasty 10 Days Ago to Fix my Hooded Lids?

+1

Sorry for your issues. To me you might have ONLY done the left upper to try and match the right one. So best to seek in person opinions. 

Definitely wait it out.

+1

Thanks for including your preop photos which suggest your right eyelid was worse than your left. Your right eyebrow is higher than your left eyebrow (suggesting right eyelid worse than left), and the difference is more pronounced preop than postop. This all suggests you should end up better if you wait it out. Since both sides were different before surgery, they will heal differently after surgery. Also your surgeon may have done something different on each side to get them to match better which also means different healing from one side to the other.

It only takes a tiny amount of swelling to make an eyelid droop or hood, so you may need to wait several months before assessing the final results. Even if you (and your surgeon) think that it needs to be revised, it would be impossible for your surgeon to get it right this early after the previous surgery due to swelling.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid hooding after blepharoplasty

+1

Looks like you have eyelid ptosis on the left.

This droopy lid makes the hooding less conspiquous.

If the hooding on the right does not improve additional skin may need to be removed.

You may want to consult with an oculoplastic specialist or someone with experience in treating eyelid ptosis to obtain the most symmetry in your lids.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS