I Had Upper and Lower Eyelids Done. Is It Normal to Have Incisions out into the Sides of the Eyes?

The incisions extend out that make it looks like I have gigantic crows feet. Two on each side. One from the incision on the top and one from incision on the bottom.The incisions look huge. I was never told there would be incisions in this area. I was told all would be hidden in the folds of the eye and under the lower eyelashes. I cant beleive I spent so much money to look so horrible.

Incisions into the Crow's Feet in Eyelid Surgery

+2

Sometimes a plastic surgeon extends the incisions of an upper or lower eyelid surgery to include the crow's feet if the skin or hooding extends laterally. 

+2

Yes, the incisions for an Upper Eylid Surgery do extend onto the lateral orbital rim to allow skin removal to reduce lateral hooding.  

Time should help hide the incisions.

+2

While the majority of the  incision for upper and lower eyelid surgery is hidden in the crease of the upper lid or just below the lash line in the lower lid, if it extends out laterally to treat the excess or loose tissue there, there will be an incision line there.  Every attempt is made to hide it in a natural crease.  Over time these incision lines should fade and be very well camouflaged.  Check with your plastic surgeon to see what measures may help till the scars fade.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Upper and lower eyelid blepharoplasty

+2

Incisions for blepharoplasty can extend laterally into skin creases expecially when patients have significant upper eyelid hooding and do not have a brow lift.

Eyelid lift Incisions

+2

The upper eyelid incision is typically placed in the first crease above the eyelid margin (8-10 mm from the edge of the eyelid) and ends in a "crows foot" slightly outside of the eyelid area.

The lower eyelid incision is typically placed just below the eyelid margin (2-3 mm from the edge of the eyelid) and ends in a "crows foot" slightly outside of the eyelid area.

Without a picture is difficult to tell if your incisions are typical. One should consider that if your case is not typical then longer incisions may have been necessary.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Incisions on sides of eyes after upper and lower blepharoplasty

+2

While it is not done with every single blepharoplasty, it is not unusual to have incisions that extend to the sides of the eyes.  This can actually help to improve the result of the procedure in some people.  I'm guessing that your surgery was done fairly recently, but I'm not certain.  If it was done recently, it will just take some more time for the incisions to heal.  Once healed, these incisions are normally not particularly noticeable.  It can take several months and sometimes up to a year to see the final results of the healing.  But you are correct in that you should have known about the extent of your incisions before the surgery.  I wouldn't do anything other than give it some more time and am fairly sure you will see gradual improvement.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Incision for Eyelid Surgery

+1

First of all, remember that blepharoplasty incisions will take up to a year to completely heal, so don't be too quick to judge your outcome.

Secondly, blepharoplasty incisions often extend past the upper lid crease and the lower lid lashes to allow the surgery to address the extra skin that goes beyond the corner of the eye.

I would advise you to talk to your surgeon about your concerns.  I suspect that after a year has passed your incisions will look much better.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon