I Just Had Ulthera Done on the Lower Half of my Face Starting from Under my Cheekbones. I Know I Am Swollen a Little?

I am worried that my jaw area will plump so my cheekbones will not be as prominent as they were before. Does skin tightening also mean plumper in 3 months time?

Swelling after Ultherapy - Los Angeles Ulthera

Minor swelling will subside after Ultherapy and collagen formation and stimulation will begin to form for a period of about 90 days after treatment. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Swelling after Ultherapy is transient

Swelling after Ultherapy is transient and this will not change the volume configuration of your upper to lower face that much. In fact, once the swelling dissipates (24 hours), and the laxity of the skin improvves via skin tightening over 6 months, your cheekbones will be more accentuated and highlighted. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

5225 Sheridan Drive
Williamsville, NY 14221

Ultherapy lifts not plumps

There may be lifting of the sagging skin and fat into the prior position plumping up the hollowness of some patients' cheeks but it is not from the significant new collagen growth. The new collagen helps tighten and lift, not fill out depressions. Swelling in the lower face will go away usually quickly, in a few days at the latest.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Ultherapy and swelling

Ultherapy does cause swelling.  This is short live and should resolve within a day.  Ultherapy will lift and tighten but will not plump up the tissue.  Your cheek bone region should remain the same.  The overall result will be seen in two to three months.

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Swollen after Ulthera

You are likely swollen from the procedure.  Generally, we see lifting of the cheeks rather than plumping.  This is what I would expect would happen.

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

6655 Travis
Houston, TX 77030

Ulthera and Swelling

Hi Margie,

It is very common to experience some degree of swelling after a procedure such as Ulthera.  This should resolve within a few days but in rare cases it may last more than a week.  If you had the procedure done within the past 48 hours, you can consider applying ice or cool packs to the area to help reduce the swelling.  You may start seeing the tightening in 8 to 12 weeks although sometimes we see the improvement sooner.  Good Luck!  

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

175 I.U. Willets Road
Roslyn Heights, NY 11507

Fullness after Ultherapy

No, I have done 120 or so Ultherapy cases and I see tightening, but not increased fullness.  I don't think that you need to be worried about this.  

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

303 W. Lancaster Avenue
Wayne, PA 19087

Swelling immediately after Ultherapy

What you are seeing is likely just swelling that occurs immediately after the Ultherapy.  Though the procedure stimulates collagen, it is not volumizing, and therefore, should not result in a plumper jaw.

Ritu Saini, MD

345 East 37th Street
New York, NY 10016

the fullness you see is swelling related the the ulthera procedure. this will resolve. the ultherapy treatment tightens the skin, so your cheeks should look fuller as the area below them is tighter

Joseph A. Russo, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

575 Boylston Street
Newton Center, MA 02459