I Had a Tooth Extraction and Bone Graft 8 Days Ago Pain is Worse Today?

On Dec 1st the tooth extraction and bone graft was done on the lower left molar. Went to the dentist yesterday morning and told him the pain is getting worst not better, dentist took the stiches out and said their is no infection and that the area lools good. Left dentist thinking its going to start feeling better. Boy was I wrong the pain is worse now than ever and here it is 8 DAYS LATER!! I am taking 400 mg of motrin and 1000 mg of Tylenol every 5 to 6 hours for relief. Why isnt it healing?

Pain after extraction and bone graft

+1

This is not normal. 

You may want to have the area rechecked for dry socket since dry socket generally starts 3-4 days post extraction

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth extraction and bone graft with pain?

+1

Normally we would not expect this level of pain unless you have a dry socket or infection. Some additional questions you should ask... Did the dentist place a membrane over the graft yes or no. Are you a smoker? Do you have osteoporsis or taking medication for it? If the problem has not cleared up by this time and the pain is from the extraction site it might be wise to remove the graft material and resuture the wound with primary closure. Good Luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD    CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Go back for a post op visit as soon as possible

+1

You may want to have the area rechecked for dry socket since dry socket generally starts 3-4 days post extraction. You may want to also ask what kind of graft material was used. Were you put on antibiotics?

Aria Irvani, DDS
Irvine Cosmetic Dentist