I Have Suffered from TMJ for 30 Years. Night Guard Have Always Been my Savior. But Know It Doesn't Help. I Am Considering Botox?

I do not grind my teeth, but only clench them. But now after 30 years, and three children going through the college process, my night guide does not help. I wake up every morning with extremely sore jaws and tight muscles. I am considering Botox. What are your thoughts.......my first Botox appt is scheduled for Tues 9/19. If you are able...please answer quickly. Thank you very much

Botox for TMJ teeth clenching

+1

If symptoms of teeth clenching are not improving and even worsening despite your night guard, the off-label use of Botox has been effective for many people with such a condition. In NYC, Dr. Andrew Blitzer is such an expert who provides many patients good relief. There are risks, so please discuss this with the physician you see in consultation. They should be board-certified.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/botox/index.html

Botox for TMJ

+1

I have many patients who get Botox for TMJ. It lessens those muscles' ability to tighten and clench, thus allowing you have pain-free nights and mornings. Just make sure the person you are seeing is experienced with Botox for TMJ and is a board-certified physician. The technique and number of units in this location are different than doing it for cosmetic purposes.

Botox and TMJ

+1

Based on your description, it sounds like you are a good candidate for Botox. It can be an effective treatment for TMJ. Consulting with an experienced and knowledgeable provider to assess your needs is the first step.

Botox for jaw clenching

+1

Botox has been used in some people to help with jaw clenching, although this would be considered an off-label use of Botox.  I think it would be worth a try in your case, since the risks would be low and nothing else seems to be helping with the problem.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon