I Still Need to Lose 10 Pounds Before my Reduction Surgery Can I Still Get the Surgery Done?

I am 5'4 36DDD wanting to get a reduction... iam at 165 want to get to 155.. if i go in for a consult at 165 and schedule the surgery and i end up loosing the 10 pounds will it make a difference? What would be a good size for me.? WIll it make a difference if i go to a D or should i go to a C in order to releave the pain from my back!

Choose your desired size

+1

The goal of breast reduction surgery is attractive breasts proportionate to the body size and eliminate the pain from the enlarged breasts.  The Ultimate Breast Reduction is a new technique which reduces the size of the breasts and transfers breast weight to the underlying muscle.  This technique allows a woman to select the size she desires and still have pain relief.  Another advantage of this technique is it is independent as weight.  The breast is supported internally by the underlying muscle not by the external skin envelope, so weight loss doesn't change the internal support.  If you do lose weight, the cup size may go down but the breast will not descend.  It is possible for you to choose your desired size rather than being over reduced to relieve the pain.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

"An extra ten pounds of weight loss after your breast reduction surgery shouldn't affect your results.  We ask that patients are either at or very close to their goal weight before undergoing this procedure, and you fit that category.  Good luck with your procedure!"

Norman M. Rowe, MD

10 lb weight loss and final breast size

+1

I think in general. if you are within about 10 lbs of your goal weight, you should be ok to undergo yor breast surgery.

Breast Reduction and Weight Loss?

+1

Thank you for the question.  Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Although I cannot give you precise advice without direct examination etc., I do not think that a plan 10 pound weight loss should get in the way of your scheduling the breast reduction procedure. If you're otherwise ready to proceed with surgery, I think you will be okay to schedule it, and work on dropping a few pounds prior to surgery.  The amount of weight loss that we are talking about here should not make a significant difference in your postoperative results.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients, like you, wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” mean different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.