I Cannot Stand the Bags Under my Eyes What Should I Do? (photo)

What would be best to take those bags out. I cannot stand to look at my face anymore. Thanks

Eye Bags Treatment Q&A

+3

I have performed Eyelid Surgery for over 25 years and IMHO, these are quite low on the face and might be "malar bags" and not lower eyelid bags.  Malar bags are not fat bags, like lower eyelid bags and if you have lower eyelid surgery to remove fat from the lower eyelids, the malar bags will become more prominent.  You should have several consultations with experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeons to make the proper diagnosis and recommendations.

Malar bags are caused by chronic loacalised edema and there is no procedure for their removal.  Various external tightening procedures have been recommended but these have not been shown to be effective.  The only solution that I have found effective, over the years for reducing the appearance of malar bags, are localised filler injections to soften the edges or the placement of malar implants if aesthetically indicated.  Hope this helps.

Bags under eyes

+3

There are several options for you.  The non-surgical option would be to inject a filler in your cheek area below the bags and above your nasolabial fold (the fold between your nose and corners of your mouth).  This would restore some of the lost volume of your cheek and I believe, make the bags less prominent.  The surgical option would be to have lower eyelid surgery to remove or reposition the fat to make the bags less visible.  I think either choice would help, but I think restoring some of the volume to your mid cheek would probably give you the best result.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eyelid bags

+2

Laurie: I agree that these bags appear very low in the lids and may be what are called malar bags or festoons. There are ways to deal with these, but they can be a challenge. You can call our Salt Lake office at 801-264-4420 for a consultation. You can email me through our website below if you have other questions. 

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Festoons or eyelid bags

+1

These are festoons and are resistant to treatment.  Eyelid surgery will not help.  Fractionated laser may be of some help. Make sure any allergies are well treated as well 

Recommendation for Lower Eyelid Bags

+1
Your concerns appear to be due to upper cheek bags called malar bags or festoons. Based on your photo, they do not appear to be originating from the actual eyelid region. The treatment for malar bags is often non-surgical. Carefully Injecting small amounts of filler such as Restylane above and underneath the malar fold can lessen the prominence of the bags. I have successfully performed this procedure many times. I recommend seeking the advice of a surgeon who manages malar bags on a regular basis.

Anita Mandal, MD
Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon