I have silicone injections in my cheeks. What kind of steriods will remove it and how do they work?

Will the steroids make the scar tissue softer? What effects will the steroids have?

Silicone removal expert in Los Angeles

+1

Silicone injections in the cheeks are difficult to treat. Intralesional injections may help to mitigate the inflammatory process. Lip silicone can be removed with surgery.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Los Angeles

Web reference: http://karemd.com/cosmetic-dermatology/34/lip-silicone-removal.aspx

Steriod thin skin and makes lumps more prominent

+1

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Steroids and Silicone Injections

+1

It would be helpful to know why you want to remove the silicone and what your concerns are.  That being said, intralesional Kenalog (cortisone) can help to break up and diminish the results from silicone injections. I recommend you consult with a board-certified physician experienced in injecting liquid silicone and in using cortisone to correct and unwanted results from it. 

Web reference: http://www.barnettdermatology.com/treatments.php?id=16