I Have a Seroma After Tummy Tuck in Poland, Need It to Be Drained, Will NHS Do This in UK?

I'm 2 weeks post op from Tummy Tuck and Lipo and had one drain removed before I had to return to the UK, but left one in and agreed id have my doc take it out in UK when drainage was low enough. the drain fell out one day and i went to a&e and they said there isnt any fluid and drain was ready to come out. 3 days later and my stomach is a water bed. So uncomfortable and wobbling. The problem is now, who can drain it in the UK? Will NHS do it? I can't afford to go back to Poland?

Seroma Needs to be Drained after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Seromas should always be drained, and they do place patients at greater risk for infection.  After drainage of the seroma, compression garment adherence is critical.

I Have a Seroma After Tummy Tuck

+1

Though I have no idea what will happen with the NHS, you have a problem that needs to be addressed. Find a plastic surgeon who will be willing to see you. Expect to pay for the services rendered.

Best wishes;.

Problems following an abdominoplasty - Medical Tourism

+1

It definitely sounds like you have a seroma.  It will continue to get worse until it is drained and under the worst circumstances it can be come chronic or infected.  We see patients from time to time who, for what ever reason, have opted to go abroad to have a cosmetic surgical procedure.  The biggest problem is lack of consistent post operative care.  Now you are in an emergent situation and need help.  I have a rather liberal policy of seeing these patients and caring for their post operative problems.  We general only charge for an standard office visit.  I am sure that there are private plastic surgeons in your area that are familiar with this problem and will be glad to help you.  I do not know how the NHS would approach this problem.   

Seroma after Tummy Tuck?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after tummy tuck surgery. Although I do not know about the NHS  system,  it is clear that you do need to see a plastic surgeon in your area ASAP.  As you may know, aspiration(s)  of the seromas will  likely be necessary; be careful that this is not become a chronic situation or secondarily infected.

Seek referral to a well experienced plastic surgeon ( possibly through your primary care doctor or friends/family).

Seroma after tummy tuck

+1

I can't vouch for how things work in the UK but I would expect any board certified plastic surgeon will be able to help you for a minimal fee. If you have infection or other complication, be seen in an emargency room. Don't delay your care as it can make a bad situation worse.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon