I Had Septoplasty Done 10 Days Ago. How Long Till I Am Not Congested Anymore?

I had septoplasty done for a deviated septum to left high up so it was done by an ent/plastic surgeon...I also had sinus fusion done ...its been 10 days since the surgery and I am still congested only on the left side ....blockage on the left was the reason I had the surgery ...so how long will this congestion last ...and how do I know its just swelling from the surgery or another problem ...I can breathe fine out of right side ...

Congestion following septoplasty

+1

Congestion following septoplasty usually begins to improve after two weeks, and sometimes takes longer depending on the patient. I would recommend following up with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your initial procedures and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Septoplasty surgery for breathing problems

+1

Dear debbiejpz,

• Ideally, this should be answered by your surgeon
  • Some people take 2 weeks, some take 2 months
  • It also depends on if you have a history of allergies
  • You would be able to tell with a physical examination

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Post Septoplasty with Difficulty Breathing

+1

Dear Debbiejpz, The best advice I can give you is to see your treating surgeon for follow-up and with a direct examination these questions should be easily answered. Without an examination and knowing where you are in the recovery phase it is difficult to give any expert opinion. At just ten days it is common to still have swelling in the tissues and your surgeon will give you the best post operative instructions for a quick and full recovery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD