I Have Had Saline Breast Implants for 11 Years and One Recently Ruptured. Should I Replace Both?

I have been very happy with my implants and never had any problems or concerns with them. One ruptured last week and I am having the surgery to replace it. I am staying with saline as I have been very satisfied with them, and am wondering if I should replace the good one during the surgery, as well. I feel as if it may need to be replaced within the next few years.

Replace both breast implants after eleven years.

+1

Hi.

The risk of the other one leaking also is increased with each passing year.  Since you are under anesthesia, I would recommend replacing both implants.

Replace one or both

+1
There is not a clearly right or wrong answer. You have yo decide what works for you. Many patients opt to replace both implants but cost and risk of complications must be considered. If you are maintaining the size, profile and implant type, there is no downside to addressing only the breast with the rupture.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Replace Only Ruptured Saline Implant

+1

Assuming that you are happy with the intact implant, I would not recommend replacing it.  It is possible that you could replace it and then it deflates in a year or so.  It is also possible that it will never become problematic if left in place.

John Whitt, MD

I would suggest doing both

+1

They served you well for 11 years, but I would suggest replacing both. They should be warranteed and I would switch them to a silicone implant.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Change both implants after rupture?

+1

There is no clear right or wrong decision.  Many patients do opt to change out both implants when one has ruptured.  After having the implants for 11 years it is not unreasonable to consider replacement of both implants.  If you are considering a change in size, this is certainly a convenient time to do so, if not, I'm not sure you can make a wrong decision.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Implant replacement after rupture

+1

There is no right answer to this question.  Most patients in your situation will replace both implants at the same time.  Eleven years is a long time for an implant and there is a good chance you will need the other one replaced in the near future.  While there is increased cost right now, you could potentially save yourself another trip to the operating room and decrease the amount of anesthesia you need.  But again, there is no right answer.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Replacing saline implants when on has ruptured

+1

This is a good question. On one hand - "if it's not broke - don't fix it" comes to mind. However, 11 years is a reasonably long period of time. The warranty programs allow you to replace both so it's a convenient time to do both. It will cost a little more now to do both, but less if you have to go and eventually replace the other when / if it ruptures anytime soon. It's a little bit of a crap shoot what you do. Most, but not all, of my patients in this situation have opted to replace both at the same time.

Ronald Schuster, MD