When Can I Return to Work After Breast Augmentation?

I Am Running my Own Housekeeping Business. Considering Breast Augmentation Surgery. I Would Like to Know when Can I Return to Work?

May need some help for a few weeks

+1

The only activities I would restrict a patient to after a breast augmentation would be not to lift greater than 20 pounds and avoid activities where the breasts bounce up and down for 6 weeks.  As long as you stay in a well fitting bra you should be fine.  YOu also can not drive a car when taking pain medications. You may need help with the more physical aspects of your job at least for a few weeks.  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Z

Return to work after breast augmentation

+1

Return to work is dependant on several factors : 1) are the implants above or below the pectoralis muscle?  2) You run a housekeeping business.  Do you direct the work or can you defer to your employees all of the heavy physical labor?  3) How many hours a week do you work?

Ultimately the recovery will be anywhere from two to six weeks depending on the answerto those questions.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

dr@drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD

+1

I generally encourage my patients who do work that requires little or no physical exertion to be back to work in 3 to 7 days. Women who do heavy work can require up to six weeks. They must be done with narcotic pain meds which would render them unsafe to drive or work. 

My patients who have done housekeeping have generally be back in two weeks though working at a somewhat slower pace. Those who work with an assistant can be back a bit sooner. 

Thanks and best wishes.

Return to Work after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you in regards to returning to activities after your procedure, since every patient responds differently to surgery. Furthermore, every patient's  occupation requires different physical and/or mental exertion.

Generally speaking,  for patients returning to a “desk job” return to work usually occurs within one week.  If a patient's work requires more exertion ( for example lifting)  return to work may need to be delayed further.  The specific  returned to work time will need to be individualized based on the specific activities required. Sometimes, patients are able to return to “modified duty”  sooner if available.  In your case, return to work timing will depend on whether you are able to “supervise” or whether you will be directly involved with the strenuous work of house keeping.

I ask patients to avoid driving until they are completely off medication and can respond to a potential emergency without discomfort/pain.