I Had Rhinoplasty Ten Days Ago but the Tip of Nose Not in Proportion with the Rest of the Nose?

I had open rhinoplasty ten days ago, the splint was removed today and straight away I noticed that the tip of the nose is pointing down and is completely out of proportion with the rest of the nose. I had work on the bridge and tip, and whilst the whole nose is still bruised the tip is considerably bigger and longer than the bridge, it doesn't look right, in fact I feel it looks worse than before - my worst nightmare! Even if the tip is swollen, surely it won't reduce in length, I hate it. Help!

Tip Disproportion After Rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, it is too early in the recovery process to tell whether or not the disproportion is happening as a result of swelling or actual surgical problems. It's best to wait it out and to see if the results change, as it can take several months before a patient is able to see the final result from a rhinoplasty.

Tip appears out of proportion following rhinoplasty

+1

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your result. Ten days is still very soon after your surgery, and you are early in the healing process. In general, it can take up to one year to the see the final result of your surgery. From what you describe, it sounds like you feel that your tip is over-projected. Swelling can influence many aspects of the appearance of your nose following surgery, and you may see that the projection decreases once some of the swelling subsides. Swelling may result in the appearance of:

1) A wider nose
2) A larger and more bulbous nasal tip
3) Asymmetry

Regarding the appearance of your tip, had you asked your surgeon to lift it upwards? In most cases, the tip will appear over-rotated following surgery and settle to its normal position in the weeks following your surgery. From here, I would recommend being patient, as the healing process following rhinoplasty takes time. You should go over any concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows the extent of your procedure. Thank you and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-Rhinoplasty Tip Swelling Requires Patience Before Judgement

+1

Hi DM,

The nasal tip usually is the last part of the nose to shrink back to normal after the surgical swelling, particularly with open tip rhinoplasty. This can be a scary process for patients, but you should rest assured that this is very common and requires weeks to months before you can truly appreciate the final nasal appearance.  Keeping your head elevated on a few pillows at night might help to decrease the swelling.  You should continue to follow with your surgeon as directed as he or she might also consider some other methods to help reduce the swelling, if indicated.  I hope that you enjoy your final result!

Jeremy White, MD

Jeremy B. White, MD
Aventura Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty post-op

+1

It is way too early to evaluate your nose. Yes, you will very likely be very swollen in the tip at this point.  Follow closely with your surgeon.

Post Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

Dear DM,

It is to soon in your recovery to determine your result. The tip of the nose is the slowest to heal so give it a few months and then discuss your concerns with your surgeon as he/she knows best what was done and what your post surgical expectations were. Hope you have a quick recovery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD