I Require Foot Surgery - Can I Do a Tummy Tuck and Neck Lift at the Same Time. Podiatrist Ok'd It?

I require foot surgery sometime I the next few months. The surgery will leave me in a cast for about 6 weeks. I had vsg surgery over a year ago and have lost 140 pounds. I have extra skin on my arms, neck and abdomen that bother me. While still a 30 bmi, my weight has been stable for four months. Im happy with my loss and dont expect to lose more. Can I do the plastics at the same time as the foot surgery? Podiatrist is ok with it but recommended against the arms since I'll be on crutches.

Combining surgery

+2

I would not do the tummy tuck with the foot surgery.  You need to be able to ambulate after surgery to decrease the possibility of a blood clot.  Also that is a lot of surgery at one time which increases risk.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Combining Multiple Procedures after Significant Weight Loss?

+2

Congratulations on your significant weight loss. In my practice, I would not offer the tummy tuck, neck lift, and foot surgery during the same setting. In my opinion, your risk for significant complications are much too high with this combination.

Although your  desire for combining multiple procedures is understandable, I would suggest that you keep the priority of safety in mind.

A Tummy Tuck At Time Of Foot Surgery Never A Good Idea

+2

Foot surgery that requires a cast for 6 weeks means you must be on crutches which requires balancing and the use of your core muscles.  These muscles are usually imbricated (sewn together) at the time of a tummy tuck.  After a tummy tuck, you want to let these muscles rest for at least 2-4 weeks. 

Also, tummy tucks carry a potential risk of clots usually from the leg (calf).  Most casts in foot surgery stabilize the calf and do not let it flex and extend which would increase the chance of clots in the legs and pulmonary emboli dramatically.

Therefore, combining these two surgeries is a very bad and dangerous idea.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Combined risk too high

+2

This would not seem to be a very good combination.  Of all the procedure that we perform as plastic surgeons an abdominoplasty places you at the greatest risk for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.  I would not do the abdominoplasty or body contouring procedure at the same time that you are having a procedure that will severely restrict your mobility.  It is an invitation to having a problem.  Better to play it safe and heal from the foot surgery before having your elective plastic surgical procedures.  

Risk too Great!!

+2

I completely agree with Dr. Rand. The risk of DVT is too great with your limited mobility secondary to your podiatric surgery/cast and abdominoplasty.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Too much surgery at one time

+2

In my opinion this is a very bad plan with too much done in one setting for safety.  You would have a higher risk of a potentially fatal DVT.  Health and safety first!!!!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck and Facelift at the Same Time

+2

If the foot surgery is uninvolved, tummy tuck and facelift may be performed together.  However, most surgeons cannot finish tummy tuck and facelift in under 6 hours.  I usually operate for 4 hours or less. 

Is It Common to See a Plastic Surgeons MA for Your First Post-op After a Tummy Tuck?

+2

A facelift, tummy tuck and arm lift is probably more that most surgeons would want to do at one setting anyway. It does make sense to use your down time from foot surgery to recover also from the facelift and/or tummy tuck at the same time.

I agree that the arm lift would not be a suitable procedure at the time of foot surgery.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Surgery

+1

This sounds like alot of surgery at once. Plus you will have trouble ambulating afetr the foot surgery which increases your risk for DVT

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS