I Recently Had Breast Reduction Surgery, and May Need "Dog Ears" Removed. Is It Painful?

I also have an anxiety disorder, so I am really worried that this is a procedure that's supposed to be done while I am fully conscious, with only local anesthetics. I have somewhat of a resistance to local anesthetic, and am afraid that I'm going to panic when my surgeon goes to cut the extra skin away. Just how effective is the numbing? because the thought of being cut on while I'm awake is freaking me out!

Correction of Dog Ears after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Generally speaking, the use of local anesthesia is very effective. If you have specific concerns about your anxiety level ( especially given that you have an anxiety “disorder”),  best to discuss these concerns with your plastic surgeon. Together, you will come up with the best approach to handle your revisionary surgery.

Dog ear after breast reduction

+1

depending on how large the dog ears are.  Most people tolerate it under local anesthesia...sounds like you may need an oral xanex to take the edge off!

Rafi S. Bidros, MD, FACS

Is Dog Ear Removal Painful?

+1

Dog Ear Removal is a simple procedure typically done in the office under localized anesthesia.  You shouldn't feel any pain but may feel a little pressure during the procedure but it should be manageable.  If you are very anxious, ask your surgeon if he can give you something to keep your calm.  Best of luck!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS
Irvine Plastic Surgeon

Local anaesthesia for 'dog ear' correction

+1

This is a very minor procedure and takes only a few minutes. They are almost always performed under local anaesthesia. You will feel the numbing injection but should feel no pain afterwards. If you are very anxious about this, your surgeon may be able to give you some sedation as well to help you stay calm.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Dog ear removal after breast reduction

+1

Dog ear removal is usually performed on the lateral tissues. It is often done under local anesthesia in the office.

Sides are usually pretty numb

+1

often the area is fairly numb. The local anesthetic is enough to numb it so you don't feel it. This is very effective in smoothing the lateral area. If you are that anxious you can ask about taking something ahead of time but I think you will be fine. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD