I Read Many Peoples Stories Here but Not Any Close to my Age (59). I Am Healthy and Active. Am I to Old for a TT?

I am 5'8" and 185 pounds. I have loose hanging lower abdominal skin and fat that my PS said lipo wouldn't solve my problem. I am healthy, active and would love to get rid of this gut! I would like to know if 59 years old is still a good age to have abdominalplasty. I have never had children, had a double mastectomy 2 years ago (cancer free today!!) and don't want to be 65 years old still wishing I should have a tummy tuck. Any thoughts?

You're never too old for a Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty

+2

Well, my first thought is you are certainly not too old for a tummy tuck. My 89-year-old  tummy tuck patient is delighted with the way her pants fit.  She still has a lot of life in her and loves her new contours!

Your decision about an abdominoplasty has some mitigation, however, namely because you are a double mastectomy patient. I do have to ask the question as to whether or not you have any contemplation for autologous breast reconstruction, or whether you have already undergone reconstruction. I ask this because tissue from your lower abdomen, whether utilizing the rectus muscle as a pedicle or a free flap, is great for breast reconstruction using your own tissues. If that is not something that you see as part of your future, then I would recommend that you find a surgeon who is comfortable operating on patients of your body stature and know full well that you are in great company with patients who are pre- and post-menopausal who have enjoyed new body contours for the rest of their life after a Tummy Tuck! 

Lastly, given your height and weight relationship, you would probably benefit from a lipo-abdominoplasty, which I perform on many of my Cleveland tummy tuck patients.  That means you would have a VaserĀ® lipo of the upper abdominal tissue with a simultaneous tummy tuck to both tighten your muscle structure and give you a great waistline and bodice in a single procedure. That would eliminate a need to have post abdominoplasty liposuction.  Go to my Web site and see what we are talking about here; see link below.

Best wishes to you,

Paul Vanek, MD, Board Certified Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Age

+2

As long as you are healthy there is no contraindication to having a tummy tuck at the age of 59. Congratulations for being a cancer survivor

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Healthy 59 Year Old. Am I Too Old for a TT?

+2

Definitely not. Your plastic surgeon will review your health history in detail and do a physical exam, and assuming everything is OK, then you can proceed with a tummy tuck. There is no reason why you should deprive yourself of this procedure just because of your age. 

You might take a few days longer to recover, but should do fine. All the standard risks, trade-offs and benefits are the same for you as for someone ten years younger. 

I am glad you doing well after your breast surgery.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Age limit for tummy tuck?

+2

Much more important than your chronological age is your physiological age. You sound like you would benefit from a tummy tuck. But the only way to be sure is to seek  consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who will be able to evaluate you in person. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Is having a tummy tuck at age 59 not approptiate?

+2

As long as you are in reasonably good health and the "deformity" of your abdomen would be best improved with a tummy tuck, then it surely can be considered surgically. Your age is not the determinant of the appropriateness of this procedure and from what you have described, you may very well be a good candidate for it.

You should be evaluated by one or more plastic surgeons in your area who can provide you with the proper information and recommendations. Medical clearance by your primary care physician may be requested.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Not Too Old for a Tummy Tuck

+2

Age is not  a determinant of whether a procedure can be/should be performed.  It is the general health of the patient and accurate diagnosis for a specific treatment will determine if a patient can have a procedure or not.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Age limit for tummy tucks

+2

At your age, if you are in generally good health, there is no reason you can't have a tummy tuck. I have performed tummy tucks in patients ver 80 years old without problems. The surgery is well tolerated and often, in older patients, I might opt not to tighten the muscle to make the recovery easier.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Too Old for Tummy Tuck?

+2

Hi,

• It's not how old you are but what your general health is that matters. I have performed "full" tummy tucks on several patients between the age of 65 and 75. They were in excellent health and did well.
  • I do think it takes longer for this age group to regain their full energy level after sugery: 6-8 weeks instead of the usual 3-6 weeks.
  • If your only concern is the excess skin below the belly button, discuss the option of a "mini-tummy tuck" with your PS. 

Thanks for your question and good luck!

Stephen M. Lazarus, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Am I too Old for a TT

+2

I perform many TT on women your age and older.  Your state of health and physical exam will be the deciding factors on whether you are a good candidate for the surgery. 

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Am I to Old for a TT?

+2

Congratulations on you recovery. From your note, it sounds like you would be a very good candidate for a TT. Calendar age is not nearly as important as health. Get a consultation and if your surgeon feels a tummy tuck will help you reach your goals, then go ahead and have the surgery. You will love the changes it gives you.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD