I Can't Pull the Back End of my Hanging Columella Up, Something Hard is Right Under the Skin, is This the Nasal Spine? (photo)

Is it possible that a large nasal spine is causing my hanging columella? i don't have a tethered upper lip. I've included a picture i found but have drawn lines representing what i feel underneath. If nasal spine is causing/contributing to the hanging columella can i expect a gain upper lip length as it is small?

Nasal spine causing hanging columella?

+1

The nasal spine doesn't usually extend out very far from the base of the nose. It can contribute to a hanging columella but based on how your nose looks I suspect the issue may be more related to the length of your entire caudal septum.

Using rhinoplasty maneuvers to address the columellar position would slightly lengthen the upper lip distance.

You can learn more about hanging columellar treatment at my web reference below.

I Can't Pull the Back End of my Hanging Columella Up, Something Hard is Right Under the Skin, is This the Nasal Spine?

+1

Yes it is a possibility the "hanging" columella is partly due to an enlarged anterior nasal spine. But ONLY in person evaluation can resolve this issue. 

Hanging columella?

+1

Based on your photo, it does not appear that you have a significant hanging columella.  What specifically bothers you about your nose?

Hanging nasal columella and upper lip length

+1

You really have a minimal hanging columella and is certainly is a minor cosmetic deformity.  What you are feeling at the base of the columella is the anterior nasal spine.  You are correct that correction of this may slightly increase the length of your upper lip.  

Hanging Nasal Columella

+1

I cannot answer your question without examining your nose but the nasal spine can contribute to the appearance of a hanging columella. You will gain minimal upper lip length. Slight elevation of the columella will be helpful.