I Am Having a Problem Choosing the Size of Implant and Wonder if Either One is Going to Make Me Too Big?

I am 5'5" and a 36B sm C cup. I am having surgery in 2 wks, and hv decided on silicone implants naterlle either 457 or 492 cc. But I'm concerned I will be too big. I want to be in the D cup range not the DD cup sz. I'm going sub-muscular, and I am very athletic and have wide shoulders. I just don't want to look top-heavy and not trying to get caught up in the cc's.

+1

If there were a perfect way to choose implant size, we would all do it just that way.

I ask my patients to describe the size they're looking for. We review photos of desired breast size. Finally I have patients try on sizers.

I have tried 3-D imaging software but am not sold.

I find that the cup size patients ask for preop is often not the size that makes them happy after surgery. Many will stress they want a full C cup, absolutely not a D. At four months postop they'll tell you how thrilled they are with their new D cup size.

Also remember that patients' most common regret after surgery is the wish that they had gone larger.

It comes down to this: you must have faith in the sizing procedure, skill and experience of your surgeon. After that it is a leap of faith.

Fortunately, most patients are very pleased with their results.

All the best!

Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Best Breast Implant Size/Profile for Me?

+1

As you can imagine, despite your good description of body type and goals, it is not possible to give you precise  advice online.
The best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “top heavy”  or “D cup, not DD” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

Small C to Full D and the Volume Needed

+1

A small C to a small D in a wider woman may take 250 cc.  A small D to a full D may take another 150 cc or so.  400 cc would probably be appropriate in a wider woman.  Good Luck.

Choosing the right implants

+1

The best way to choose the right implant for you is to undergo an exam and review your goals with your doctor.

Choosing the correct implant size

+1

Nothing can replace a frank and open conversation with your plastic surgeon regarding your desires and expectations for a successful breast augmentation. The physician needs to do a thorough physical examination with respect to current cup size, shape and symmetry with particular attention to congenital deformities such as tuberous breast deformities and developmental size differences. A Base Width Measurement of the breast should be taken as this will determine what diameter of implant (in cm) that will comfortably fit in the chest and still look proportional for your body frame. Then with that base width you can then pick the style of implant (low, moderate or high projection) depending on the appearance you are trying to achieve. There should be a logical reason why your plastic surgeon is picking the size and shape of the implant, but you need to be an active participant in the decision making process by adequately explaining the look you are trying to achieve.

Russell Sassani, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Size question

+1

If you are already a small C cup, I would be worried that a 457-492 cc implant would put you easily into the DD+ range.  Double-check with your surgeon to make sure he/she understands what you want.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Implant Sizing

+1

My recommendation to you is that you show your surgeon photos of other people who have had a breast augmentation. These can be found on web sites like implantinfo.com. They have mutiple photos of before and afters and you simply find someone who looks like you to start and then a result that matches your size wish. These can be used by your surgeon in the OR and if has sizers he can match you to your wishes. Picking out an implant size before hand can be done but this can be risky since each implant size can look different in each individual patient.

Scott R. Brundage, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon