I Have Pretty Bulky Muscular Thighs. Would I Be a Good Candidate for Lipo? (photo)

I am a male and my thighs are pretty muscular and bulky however they do have some fat above the muscle. Mainly i just want to have liposuction done on my inner thighs to reduce friction between them and fit into jeans more comfortably. Would i be a good candidate or would i be disappointed in the results?

Men and body contouring

+3

If you have done as much as you can in the gym and still have this problem then you may be a candidate for correction of your inner thigh. Men typically carry their fat in their abdomen and "love handles".  Women carry much more of their fat peripherally, in their extremities, which is because of an estrogenic effect on development, beginning in the fetus. (This is why only a small percentage of men have cellulite). The inner thigh seems to be the exception. I have treated this area in men where the remainder of the thigh has very little fat on it. From your pictures you have muscular legs. It is hard to tell what is going on with the inner thigh but the fact that your thighs rub in the middle indicates that something might help there. I have been pleased with my Smart Lipo system which provides additional skin tightening as this area is more lax. See a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience with this technology and the nuances of body contouring to establish if you are a candidate. It can be done with minimal sedation using local anesthesia to infiltrate the area, numbing it up for the procedure. Best of luck.  

Liposuction or not?

+2

This is a situation where the physical exam is key.  If you can pinch up an inch of fat - not muscle - in the thigh area, then maybe liposuction could work for you.  If the leg shape and size is due to well-developed musculature, then, liposuction would be of no benefit for you.  See your local plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Thomas Fiala, MD

The pinch test is a good way to see if an area will benefit from liposuction.

+2

In a very general sense if the skinfold thickness (pinching the skin between two fingers) is greater than 1 inch, one can expect some improvement with liposuction. Based on the photograph I doubt this would be the case. The large volume of the thighs seem to be due to the muscularity in the area.

Candidate for Liposuction of the Medial Thighs

+1

You do not appear to have a significant amount of fat to make the liposuction worthwhile.  The only way to tell for sure is with the proper exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Male liposuction

+1

Liposuction is increasingly popular with men, and many "gym rats" remain good liposuction candidates.  The key in your case will be evaluation by a qualified surgeon who is not just trying to get you into the operating room.  You look pretty muscular, and liposuction is obviously meant to remove fat, not sculpt muscle.  I would recommend evaluation by a surgeon, but remember that liposuction may keep you out of the gym for a bit and so the pros and cons of surgery have to be weighed.  Another thing to consider would be something like CoolSculpting which has no down time but excellent results in the inner thigh area.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lipo

+1

I do not think you are a surgical candidate although the only real way to say this is with a in office exam

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Physical examination needed to determine need for liposuction

+1

Without a careful physical examination, it would only be conjecture as to whether liposuction would be indicated in your case. In general, this is an area that rarely needs to be addressed in men. Add to this, your well sculpted body with probably a fairly low body fat level, and the odds of needing and benefiting from liposuction here is even further reduced.

You may want to consider being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon who could provide you a definitive answer.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Inner thigh liposuction on a male - not sure about that procedure !

+1

You look fit and muscular - perhaps talk to a personal trainer and ramp up your cardio and improve nutrition - you may see this troublesome inner thigh fatty region improve. Liposuction can be done to the inner thigh - but results vary in patients with minimal fattiness. 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS