I Look Pregnant-is This an Acceptable Result? (photo)

Three mos ago I got a tt (board certified surgeon) who also did lipo of flanks, upper ab, and (bra rolls). I don't have before pictures but I can say I am about the same size. I am still very thick and have fat I went to see my surgeon last week and he said that I still have some swelling and that if I lost ten pounds it would make my results look better. Please doctors, let me know if you think I could have a better result possibly or if I should give up!

Tummy tuck results at 3 months

+3

Hi Bayboo, thanks for your question!  Swelling after a tummy tuck can last up to a year. So you still have some residual swelling, although this probably doesn't completely account for all of your fullness.  You should be able to start exercising at this point. And making the right decisions about food choices will probably help more than exercise. I bet if you cut out high calorie drinks and ate a lot more vegetables, fruits, and lean meats you'll notice a difference.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Look “Pregnant” after Tummy Tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It is difficult to comment accurately/fairly without looking at your before pictures and/or examining you in person. However, the abdominal wall prominence that you refer to is visible in the pictures. Whether or not this is related to ongoing swelling versus abdominal wall laxity, only time will tell. In other words, it would be best to evaluate the end results of surgery and determine the potential benefits of revisionary surgery roughly one year after the initial procedure was performed.

At this point, there is not much to do except to continue to exercise patience  and continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon. Express your questions and concerns in a calm, constructive fashion. It still concerned, or in doubt,  a second  opinion consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area may be helpful to you.

Looking pregnant 3 months after a #tummytuck? Likely internal fat!

+1

Thank you for your question.  Assuming the abdominal muscles were repaired tightly and with permanent sutures, which I do like most board-certified plastic surgeons, I would think the residual fullness is maybe a slight residual swelling post-op but more importantly internal fat.  The internal fat is not accessible with liposuction and tummy-tucks (abdominoplasty).  Best would be to loose weight with daily 30-45 minute exercises and more importantly, a better diet.  Cut down the carbs, the wheat/gluten and the transformed sugars.  You will see a marked improvement with even a 10-15 lbs.  Good luck!  Best regards, Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto plastic surgeon, board-certified. 416.929.9800 Visage MD Clinics.

Marc DuPere, MD

Tummy Tuck at 3 Months - Looking Pregnant

+1

You should not give up.  At three months following tummy tuck and liposuction, you still have swelling.  Wait until 6 months at least.  In addition, losing a few pounds will reduce the intraabdominal fat component.

Post

+1

Although the photographs are not great your abdomen looks pretty flat. You will certainly improve the existing results with some weight loss

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

I Look Pregnant-is This an Acceptable Result?

+1

Hard to say without a better frontal views. But you appear over weight so try to use 20 pounds to see if the issue is intra abdominal fat. 

Tummy tuck in the presence of intra-abdominal fat - beware!

+1

This is a common situation and should have been anticipated by a thorough preoperative examination and outlined in the process of informed consent.

There are two abdominal fat locations: subcutaneous (under the skin) and intra-abdominal. Some people (and most women) accumulate fat in the subcutaneous layer while others lay it down in and around the abdominal organs deep to the muscle (more common in, but not exclusive to, men). There is often a component of both. Tummy tucks do NOT remove intra-abdominal fat, which seems to have been your main problem. It simply tightens the skin by removing external redundancy. The only solution for the reduction of intra-abdominal fat is dieting.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Is This an Acceptable Result?

+1

Not knowing what the starting point was (pre-op photos), what your height and weight are, I would not want to answer this question. At three months you may well still have some swelling--your surgeon can tell this on an actual exam far better than we can guess from a photo.

Your surgeon should have pre-op photos, so looking at them and the post-ops with the surgeon should be helpful to you (and to the surgeon). Thanks for your question, best wishes.