I Have Porcelain Veneers and Since Fitting Them a While Back They Keep Chipping or Breaking?

I had porcelain veneers fitted about 5 years ago and since they were fitted they were cracking, I could see in the mirror they had cracked. Since than I have had them repaired by the same dentist and I have recently seen a new dentist who suggests crowns because they are stronger towards the bottom of the tooth where you bite. I am a bit concerned about crowns because of the amount of tooth that needs to be removed to fit the crown. I have an overbite on my top teeth where the veneers are fitted.

Chipping Porcelain Veneers Caused By Grinding

+1

The porcelain veneers that we use today are extremely durable, but can chip or crack in people that have misaligned bites or in severe grinders.  Many times the patient does not even realize that they are clenching or grinding.  In my office, it is commonplace to fabricate the patient a night guard immediately finishing their case to protect against nighttime grinding.  Hope this helps.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers chipping and breaking

+1

Porcelain crown and porcelain veneers are made of the same material in most cases so that would not be the best option.  Your veneers may be chipping or cracking due to an issue with the bite or if you have a clenching or grinding habit.  Good luck

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers

+1

it really depends on your bite and amount of space present. if your bite functions in a protective fashion, where your back teeth and front teeth tract smoothly relative to each other, than the porcelain veneers should not chip or break. Especially if they were prepared and fabricated correctly.

Robert Schulman, DMD, FACP
White Plains Cosmetic Dentist

Bite problems usually cause of veneers chipping.

+1

Think of your front teeth where your veneers are as one end of a scale and your back teeth as the other end.  There needs to be balance of chewing forces in order to keep the scale from tipping.  If you have worn back teeth or your bite is such that there is more force placed on your front teeth, that tips the scale towards the front meaning more pressure and stress on the veneers causing them to chip, which is probably what happened to your own teeth requiring them to have veneers.  Same forces are now at play on the veneers.  Bottom line is have your bite evaluated by a dentist experienced in this.  Hope that made sense. 

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist

I Have Porcelain Veneers and Since Fitting a Few Years Ago They Keep Chipping?

+1

Porcelain veners are usually extremely strong. They can withstand tremendous forces and all normal day-to-day use.

The pressures and destructive forces that chip and break natural teeth can also damage porcelain veneers.

In most cases having veneers placed actually plays a role in helping to correct some bite problems. The key though is that the cosmetic dentist also needs to be highly proficient with perfecting your WHOLE bite.

I have had patients come to me with chipping veneers made elsewhere. Once we got the bite stabilized and improved the veneers have been chip-free.

I would be less concerned about having crowns placed, and spend more time assessing your bite and correcting it.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Veneers should not chip/break on regular basis

+1

Your Veneers should be strong enough that they do not chip or break on a regular basis.  One condition that may contribute to your Veneers chipping and breaking is that your bite may be off and/or you are clenching and grinding your teeth during the day or at night while you are asleep.

A thorough and detailed examination should be done by your dentist to address the cause of the veneers chipping and breaking.  The cause of the problem should be addressed so that you do not have to live in discomfort.

Giri Palaniswamy, DDS
Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist

It is not normal for veneers to chip and break

+1

Usually when a veneer chips it is not that it is not strong enough.  There is usually an underlying cause, usually related to the forces generated by a persons bite.  Are you aware of clenching or grinding your teeth?  Were your teeth worn down at all before the veneers were placed?

If these issues are not addressed before veneers are placed, the forces put on the veneers by a bite that is not ideal, the veneers can break and or chip. 

I would make sure that before you remake the veneers, or step up to crowns, that you have your dentist analyse your bite and design the final restorations to take the destructive forces into account or you might continue to have problems.

Martin Frankel, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist