I Had PIP Implants Removed June 2012?

I had PIP implants removed back in June 2012, Rt implant ruptured, over the last month my right breast has had 3 aspirations done due to fluid build up, what would be my best option, to go back under and have capsule removed?? or keep aspirations up or have drains, just would like another opions. Could the rt breast calcify and go hard and lumpy?? Many thanks Tania

Need to have the capsule removed

+1

This is unusual that the fluid would continue to form but in your particular case you will need to have the capsule removed. 

Pip implants

+1

sorry to hear about this. Unless the capsule is removed repeated aspirations and sclerosis are the only way out. You will end up with some sort of internal scarring when this collapses and heals.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Seroma after removing leaking PIP implants

+1

If the capsule was not removed at the time of implant removal, it is quite likely that the current problem will continue until that is done. Short of surgery, placement of a drain, and a try at sclerosis (injecting Betadine  tetracycline, absolute alcohol) can sometimes help resolve persistent seroma cavities. 

But this long after surgery, I don't think any of the non-operative therapies have much chance of success. Best wishes.

Drain is an option, but may not work

+1

If repeated aspirations don't work, a drain is most commonly the next step. However, having ruptured PIP implants tends to steer surgeons to doing a capsulectomy. Having the capsule removed is somewhat of a big deal, A capsulectomy would require a drain postoperatively and run the risk of a seroma also. The breast will not calcify and go lumpy but the capsule where the gel leaked could. Removing the capsule would get rid of this risk. I think you and your surgeon should discuss this further.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Definitive Treatment for Recurrent Breast Seroma

+1

The best treatment for your recurrent seromas would be a total capsulectomy AND placement of a drain. Raw surfaces will be created with removal of the capsule. These surfaces will be able to adhere and close the residual space left after the removal of your PIP implant.

Gregory Park, MD

Removal of Breast Implants

+1

The recommendations specifically for PIP implants removal is to do a total capsulectomy, for the same reason you are experiencing, that is fluid accumolation. That is true for removal of any breast implant, the capsule should be removed.