I Peeled the Dead Skin After my Chemical Peel. What Can I Do Now?

I know I wasn't suppose to, but being a picker, I peeled the dead skin off after my chemical peel. I realize my skin is at risk for scarring now. Please advise me on the best thing to do to help at this point. Again, I know I shouldn't have peeled the skin. Thank you for any help you can give.

Peeling skin off after a chemical peel

+2

At this point the best thing to do is keep your skin very hydrated using a post peel balm or aquaphor. Return to your peel provider to have them asses your skin. Make sure to avoid the sun and wear your sunscreen to help protect from hyper pigmentation and scarring. In the future no more picking!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of skin after your peel

+2

You should return to your doctor to be assessed.  Wash very gently and keep your skin moist with a product such as Aquaphor.  Avoid any sun exposure which can cause dark spots.  Hopefully, you have not caused any damage to your skin.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Picked skin after a chemical peel

+2

It's important to avoid the temptation of pick at the skin as it is peeling after a chemical peel.  It is better to apply moisturizer which helps the scale come off.  Have the person who did the peel evaluate your skin.  The application of a rich moisturizer or a topical steroid will probably be recommended. Don't pick next time!  Good luck!

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Questions about picking at peeling skin following a chemical peel

+2

Go to your physician who did the peel immediately and be evaluated.  If your skin is overly irritated then either a topical steroid or an oral steroid may be suggested to decrease inflammation.  The early care of your skin following a peel is essential.  Also the depth of the peel will also effect your result.  Hopefully there are no open sores on your face after picking at the peeling skin.