I Paid for Juvederm and Was Wondering if There is a Way to Tell if I Got Radiesse Instead? (photo)

I had it dissolved with Hyaluronidase?I wanted one eye wrinkle traced with Juvederm. Instead of tracing the one wrinkle, the doctor flooded large areas of Juvederm under both eyes causing large raised lumpy areas, loads of deep wrinkles, that I never had, over most of my face, and discoloration that won't go away. The doctor gave Botox in my entire face to freeze the wrinkles leaving my face frozen and disfigured. I've requested that she give me Hyaluronidase. She says she can't dissolve it and doesn't want another doctor to.

Juvederm is reversible

+2

Juvederm is reversible with easy hyauronidase injections.  I am not a big fan of fillers under the eye in general, but it is helpful in a few very selected individuals.  You can request copies of your records which should list what filler you got.  It is the trust that you have in the physician/practitioner that is your best bet.  It would be extremely rare for a doctor to inject one thing but tell you they are injecting another-and that would be clearly wrong.  Good luck.  

Paramus Dermatologist

I Paid for Juvederm and Was Wondering if There is a Way to Tell if I Got Radiesse Instead?

+2

Sorry for the mis understandings but the best thing to do is NOTHING! Allow these injections to metabolize over the next few months. 

Juvederm But Got Radiesse Instead

+1

That would be unusual since the boxes and the syringes look totally different.  I am not sure what would motivate a person to inject Radiesse instead of Juvederm.

Juvederm & Radiesse - Can you tell?

+1

Juvederm and Radiesse are completely different in terms of the ingredients/family of the filler.  Radiesse should not be used in such a delicate area such as around the eyes and in the lips.  It is much too thick.  I agree with the above and do not like the hyaluronic acids in these areas as well.  There is too high of a risk for long-term discoloration, swelling and "lumps".  You should be able to obtain your medical records to check which filler was used.  A good injector should also be able to tell the difference between these two types of fillers.  Hyaluronidase may help if Juvederm was actually injected but time may be the real answer.

John W. Chang, MD
Coral Gables General Surgeon

Can you tell if it's Juvederm or Radiesse?

+1

It would be hard to tell from a photo whether you have Juvederm or Radiesse but sometimes you can tell by the feel and the way it behaves.  Hyaluronidase is an enzyme that breaks down Hyaluronic acid fillers. It will not breakdown Radiesse.  

You have obvious bruising and swelling. It's unfortunate you had a bad experience

There are better fillers for under the eyes. Restylane or Belotero are softer and seem to lay better in that area.  I'm not sure what the best advice is for you at this point.  Time will make things better, but you can always seek a second opinion.

Sam Naficy, MD

Juvederm and Radiesse

+1

For starters, Juvederm should not be used to "trace" wrinkles around the eyes in a subdermal fashion, because a Tyndall effect (blue discoloration) will result.  When a filler is used to fill in tear troughs (periocular submuscular injection), it is usually Restylane; I am not the biggest fan of this procedure but it is sometimes beneficial.  Most skilled injectors would recommend against Radiesse in this area.  Although Botox can be used for crow's feet, it is rarely injected below that lateral orbital rim.  Hyaluronidase will dissolve the Juvederm effectively. It sounds as if more discussion with the injecting Doctor is required.  Make sure that your injector is a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon, or Dermatologist.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is there a way to tell if Radiesse was used instead of Juvederm?

+1

The answer to your immediate question, is that you would not be able to tell if you had Juvederm or Radiesse placed into your under eye area.  If it was Juvederm, you are correct in that it could be dissolved with hyaluronidase.  If it was Radiesse, then you would not be able to dissolve it.  It sounds as if there is a lack of trust in your physician, and if this is the case, I would consider seeking out another opinion.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Issues after series of injections

+1

Botox should never have been used "on your entire face". That is not a good sign of any kind of experienced injector. No legitimate office would give you one filler when you paid for another, not to mention Radiesse and Juvederm cannot necessarily be used interchangeably in the same areas. It seems from your statements that your injector may not have been the best choice, so before you do anything, I might suggest you see another board-certified injector for an evaluation. If it was Juvederm, it can be dissolved with hyaluronidase. Also, you can request your medical records. That's an option too.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD