I Have 2 Open Wounds and Im Putting Everyday Vaseline or Triple Ointment...what else I Can Do? (photo)

i want it to heal as soon as possible.... my surgery was 3 weeks ago,,,and it happens 1 week ago.

Healing after breast reduction

+2

Unfortunately, this is a very common area for wound healing problems. The good thing is that is will heal and the scar will likely be flat and well hidden under the breast. It's important to keep it moist while new skin is forming. I would avoid topical antibiotics since you may start to react to it. Aquaphor is a nice topical agent. Once it has completely healed, keep the whole area moisturizer with standard moisturizer. Make sure you attend your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon. 

Open Wound after Breast Reduction

+2
  • It appears from your photo that you have some delayed wound healing, and this occasionally happens after the breast reduction operation. 
  • The good news is that by keeping this area moist with either bacitracin ointment, triple antibiotic ointment, or vaseline, you may speed up the healing process.   And it sounds like that is exactly what you are currently doing. Likely, you will be completely healed in a couple weeks.  
  • Lastly, it is always a good idea to keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon so that he/she may evaluate your healing progress and make any other recommendations if necessary. 
  • Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Superficial Wounds after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

These types of superficial wound healing problems are not uncommonly seen after breast reduction surgery. The most important "step" for successful resolution, in my opinion, is close follow-up with your plastic surgeon. He/she will be able to recommend appropriate local wound care, treat any infection present, and/or remove any suture material that potentially will delay healing.

Generally speaking, patients who experience these types of superficial separations go on to heal well, without long-term detraction from the end results.

Breast incison and secondary healing

+1

It looks like you ahd some superficial skin loss which can happen. It sound slike you are doing the right thing with antibiotic cream.  Follow closely with your doctor.

+1

These open wound issues are at the points of most tension in the surgical closure, a very common occurrence. You did not mention if your surgeon was treat ng you! So best to be seen at least weekly by him/her.