I Have Occasional Acne and Clogged Pores, My Doc Wants to Put Me on Accutane?

Hey, i have occasional acne , cysts specially during the time of the month..or sometimes lack of sleep. I just turned 20, and recently faced some breakouts so i went to the derm, he told me he wants to put me on accutane.... and gave me 500mg azithromycin (antibiotic) to prevent flare ups (thats what he said). I have read about the initial breakout online, and it really scares me..and now i am really hesitant. Will taking antiobiotics prevent initial break outs?..cause i dont have acne allover

Accutane for Acne and Clogged Pores?

+1

Thank you for your question. Oral antibiotics can help to prevent flares of acne. The best prevention is using an over the counter face wash with benzoyl peroxide as well as topical antibiotics, and a retinoid prescribed by your dermatologist. If your acne is associated with your menstrual cycle, it is possible that you have hormonal acne which can be treated with a birth control pill in addition to your oral antibiotic.  I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist