I Have a Neck Mass/fat Deposit That Resembles a Goitre. Will Liposuction Solve This? (photo)

Ever since I was a small child, I had a fat deposit in the front of my neck that resembled a goitre. Doctors always questioned me about it and sent me to have ultrasounds, which revealed that my thyroid is normal (no goitre!). The mass is soft and fatty, and I can pinch and stretch it with my fingers, and it grows bigger/smaller with my weight. I'll be going to a doctor for advice, but I wanted to find out the options by myself. To remove it, would I need liposuction, or a neck lift, or both?

Neck Mass and Treatment Options?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I think you have a good plan; consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon will be crucial. I would suggest, if possible, that you take any ultrasound reports available  with you to the consultation. Physical examination and results of the ultrasound studies will help your plastic surgeon determine the nature of the “deposit”. If this area does  to turnout to be a diffuse area of adipose tissue, you may be a candidate for liposuction surgery. On the other hand, if the area turns out to be a lipoma, surgical excision may be an option to consider.

Best wishes for a  successful consultation and treatment plan.

Fatty deposit in the neck

+2

From the photos it is difficult to discern where the mass is, as the other physicians have mentioned your muscles.  I assume you are talking about the subtle fullness that is over the lower part of the larynx and medial to the SCM on the right in the third picture.  

This is a risky area for liposuction as there are very important structures that could be injured with a cannula.  You might be better off with a direct excision of the fatty tissue, but will have a scar from it. 

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Fatty neck

+2

lumps on the front of the neck can be from fat, or enlarged thyroid etc. since you have clearly been evlauated for enlarged thyroid and since that has been successfully ruled out, its possible that you might have thicker enlarged muscles that turn your head sideways and can make u look like u have two lumps. if this is fat instead it can be removed with a simple liposuction procedure. ultrasound might be helpful to better answer that question

Misbah Khan, MD

Large sternocleidomastoid muscle not amenable to liposuction.

+2

It appears, with direct physical examination, that the oblique fullness in your anterolateral neck are the bodies of the SCM muscles (right and left).  They appear generous in size for a female.  If this is correct, liposuction has no role. 

Liposuctioning Neck Area

+1

It is probably not worth liposuctioning this area due to risk of damage in the area.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fatty neck mass

+1

It’s very difficult to determine from your photos; however, I very often perform liposuction on lipomatous masses.  Determining factors regarding excision or liposuction depend a great deal on location, size and also cost.  Most insurance carriers will not cover the cost of removal of a lipoma if performed via liposuction as opposed to excision and, of course, if performed via liposuction this is an out of pocket expense for the patient. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Jonathan Berman, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon