I Had a Nasal Implant 11 Days Ago. How Long Before I Know I Am in the Clear of an Infection?

Had a nasal implant to build the bridge of my nose 11 days ago. About 15 years ago my nose was broken by a baseball and I had it straightened and a closed rhinoplasty . A little bump on the right side of the tip was left after and a couple years later the doctor did another closed rhinoplasty to fixed the little bump on the tip. Today the bridge of my nose is really swooped so I had an implant put in. How long will it be before I know I'm in the clear of an implant infection?

Nasal Implants

+1

As you continue with the healing process, your risk for acquiring an infection will decrease. It's important to remember that risk of infection is always a possibility with any surgery, but it will greatly decrease if you follow the post operative care as outlined by your plastic surgeon.

Nasal bridge implant

+1

I assume you had a silastic implant to the dorsum of the nose.

As a foriegn material there is always a chance of infection.

That is why I prefer a rib cartilage graft, once taken there is no need to worry or need maitanance

Nasal implant and risk of infection

+1

There is always a small risk with an implant to develop an infection.  As to when this will develop.. it may never. Then again. . it may never happen.

Risk of infection after rhinoplasty with nasal implant

+1

As long as you have a nasal implant in place you will have an increased risk of infection or extrusion of the implant.  Due to this increased risk you should remain vigilant and sensitive to any changes in your nose; redness, tenderness, malodor, discharge, or increased swelling can all be signs of infection and should be evaluated by your surgeon.    

Donald B. Yoo, MD