I Had my Tummy Tuck 7-yr Ago and Left a Scar on my Belly Button That Screams I Had a TT, is There Anything I Can Do? (photo)

Notice the picture, the left side of the belly button is better than the right side, which the scar is more prominent in person. Also, scar under by belly is still very noticeable. The color of the scar has not turned totally white, it's like light-medium in color. I am female, 46-years old, 5'2", 110 lbs. P.S. The doctor that did my TT is a board surgical doctor who has a very high ratings from patients but unfortunately, the result I got was not high in my rating, even after 7-years later!

Tummy tuck results

+3

Unfortunately, your picture doesn't show the whole area, and has a yellowish cast to it, making it hard to really judge the colors. Your tummy is nice and flat, and doesn't have any laxity. So, except for the scar coloration, it's a pretty nice result.

Your scar seems a little hyper-pigmented. You could try some IPL treatments, or perhaps some medical-grade lightening creams to help lighten it up. By fading the scar color, this should help it match the surrounding skin a little better.

Tummy tuck belly button scar

+3

It looks like the rest of your tummy tuck result has held up very well 7 years post op.  If you are not satisfied with the color of the belly button scar 7 years later, I would call your surgeon or another one and try a small scar revision which would be an office procedure that hopefully shouldn't break the bank.  If the result is the same, at least you know you tried everything possible.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Concerns after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+3

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Frankly,  based on the very limited view photograph, I think that the results of your tummy tuck operation seems quite nice to me. However, given that you say the scars are worse in person, I would suggest that you discuss your concerns in a calm/constructive fashion with your plastic surgeon.  Remember that as plastic surgeons we cannot necessarily control the final coloration (“white line”)  that scars achieve.

I Had my Tummy Tuck 7-yr Ago and Left a Scar on my Belly Button That Screams I Had a TT, is There Anything I Can Do?

+3

Despite a good verbal description and photo, this is difficult to answer on line. A useful recommendation will require and in person exam at a consultation.. Making the navel smaller is about the most difficult thing to do with the navel, but by using a permanent pursestring suture it can sometimes be done and result in improvement. Discuss with your surgeon.

Thank you for your question and for the photo posted. All the best. 

Unnatural Looking Belly Button After Tummy Tuck

+2

Thank you for the question and your picture. It is not possible for a surgeon to tell you exactly how your incision will heal as there are far too many variables that go into the healing of your incision that are out of the control of the surgeon and the patient. It is difficult to make out much detail from your your photo, however it appears as though the problem may be a hyperpigmentation (too much pigment) of your umbilicus.

My advice would be that when you are ready, consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a thorough evaluation and discussion of your concerns. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Improving your belly button

+2

Your belly button scar could be improved by anchoring the scar to the abdominal wall.  This causes the scar to be drawn into the belly button so that it is not visible at the edge of the belly button.  Your belly button skin is darker than the surrounding skin which also makes it more obvious.  If your skin is thin, this could be done by incising around your present belly button scar.  If this is not possible, a surgeon would need to use your tummy tuck scar to do this, which is a bigger procedure. 

Your tummy tuck scar is actually very well placed and the quality of scar is quite good.  It could be lightened with skin bleaching cream or IPL treatments.

THank you for your questions.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar can it be improved?

+2

Unfortunately, some tummy tuck scars don't heal well. Did you try asking the plastic surgeon whether the scar could be improved or not? Its hard for me to tell by the picturento give you accurate advice. Sometimes scar revision or laser may be helpful in improving the scar.

Adrian Lo, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Scar revision?

+1
Hello! Thank you for the question!  Consideration for an umbilicoplasty/scar revision is reasonable. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. These can usually be started at approximately 3-4 weeks postop and when incisions healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. Scars will never disappear, but attempt is made to make the finest scar in a concealed location. Incisions may be revised to lower or conceal better if enough laxity exists.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Belly Button Visible Scar - How To Improve?

+1
The scar itself is on the same level as the abdominal skin.  This should be pulled lower towards the abdominal wall.  The term of "art" for pulling it lower is to umbilicate it. 

I would recut at the edge of the abdominal skin belly button junction, defat for about 1-1/2 cm the under surface of the abdominal skin, then anchor the belly button itself to the rectus fascia at 3/6/9/12 o'clock with a long lasting, dissolvable suture. 

Suturing the belly button skin to the abdominal wall skin should be done with sutures that are either subcuticular or are what is known as half buried mattress sutures.  This allows a gentle sloping down from the abdominal skin to the belly button, and will keep the scar of the belly button below the skin level and therefore less obvious.  Also, it may be necessary to trim away some of the existing belly button skin, again to pull the abdominal skin down towards the bellty button, i.e. to umbilicate it.

I must apologize for my technical explanation above.  The obvious answer that I meant to say is find a Board Certified plastic surgeon with a great deal of experience in belly button reconstruction post abdominoplasty.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon