I Just Had my Breast Implants Replaced Due to Capsular Contracture. During Surgery, my Surgeon Discovered a Severe Infection?

He decided during surgery to replace this implant under the muscle. So now I have one on top and one underneath the muscle. It's only been a week since surgery but they look extremely different. I am also on 20 days of Key flex (antibiotic) and three days of some heavy duty anti biotic. I am quite concerned seeing I don't know how I got the infection in the first place. what could of caused it and where should I go from here??

Breast asymmetry

+1

You should clarify this with your surgeon.  I doubt that your surgeon would put the implant back in, if you had an active severe infection, maybe he meant that you had an infection at one time that caused a contracture. 

Infection and Implants

+1

I do not think that a plastic surgeon would place an implant into an infected area.  As to why they look different, I have no idea why one would be placed over the muscle and one under.  In replaning procedures for unilateral capsular contracture, I change the planes of both implants due to obvious contour deformity otherwise.

Revisional Breast Surgery

+1

Typically, if an infection is found during surgery, an implant should not be replaced at that time. There should be adequare time given for the infection to clear up prior to replacing the implant. I would ask your plastic surgeon for more information. Here are some questions to possibly ask:

1. Was a culture done on the infected tissue? If so you can request copies of the results.

2. Was there a rupture of my previous implants or a small leak?

3. What was the benefit of placing one implant ontop of the muscle and one submuscular?

4. What are my options at this point to achieve symmetry?

I would advise you to take the antibiotic completly and follow up with your plastic surgeon on a routine basis.

I hope this helps you and good luck

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS

Plastic and Reconstrictive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Breast implants

+1

you cant have a severe infection without  clinical evidence such as fever, tenderness, pain, swelling etc. the appearance of the breasts will always be different and continue to become increasingly different over time if you have one over and one under the muscle. You need to heal and then have the other one put under the muscle

Newton Plastic Surgeon

I would discuss this with your surgeon again

+1

It would be unusual to knowingly place an implant under the muscle and leave the other above - best to discuss this with your surgeon to clarify

Concerns after Breast Revisionary Surgery?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the  stressful experience around the time of breast surgery. I think you will be best off seeking clarification of exactly what was found and  exactly what was done during the breast surgery (from your plastic surgeon). At this point, given that your surgery was in the recent past, you will be best off allowing for continued healing to occur; I would suggest that you evaluate the end results of the procedure performed several months from now.

If still in doubt, seeking second opinion  consultations may be helpful to you.

Bestwishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_revisionarybreastsurgery.htm

Infection and implants?

+1

I think we are all saying the same thing, that the story may not be accurate. Surgeons would not put an implant back in during an active infection.

Implant infection discovered at the time of surgery?

+1

I would agree there seems to be some part of the story missing.  It would be very unusual to place one implant above the muscle if it was known in advanced the other was under the muscle.  I would think that if this was really done then symmetry will be very difficult to achieve.  As far as the infection you would not just discover intraoperatively that you had an unforeseen infection.  If the implant is infected there may be not choice other than removing the implant.  This is an unfortunate risk in breast augmentation at about 1 per 100.  

Strange story

+1

I agree withmy colleagues that something sounds very strange with this story. Either your surgeon has performed some bizarre operation, or you have greatly misunderstood what your surgeon did. You should seek a second opinion and make sure to get the operative report from your surgeon.

Implant infection

+1
First, if an infection was discovered during the procedure the implant should have been removed and reinsertion delayed until the infected had resolved. Second, I do not know any board certified plastic surgeon who would place one implant above and the other below the muscle. I agree that this is bizarre and that you need to seek a second opinion.