I'm on 5th Month of Roacutane Roche'. I Am Much Worried As my Acne is Not Clearing Up. Please Suggest Me What I Should Do Now?

my derm guaranteed me that acne will go within three months but it is not happening. for me it is quite expensive to continue it........ please help me out docs :( i feel like crying. i m not at all confident. :( i cant go out for shopping and to parties. i just want to get rid of this bloody acne ::(. please reply asap.

Not clearing up on Accutane

+1

I tell my patients they will see some clearing after 60-90 days, but wouldn't tell a patient they will be all clear. Because I live in Las Vegas and the environment is rough enough on skin, most of my patients are on lower doses of Accutane for 6-12 months, simply because they can't tolerate higher doses. If you aren't getting the clearing you expected, talk to your doctor. Accutane has a 85% success rate for curing acne, but only if you follow the exact regimen and it's set properly for you.

Not clearing on Roacutane

+1

Without knowing how you are being dosed it is hard to respond that you should already be clear. Isotretinoin is dosed by a total,cumulative dose based on weight.  In the United States we tend to use Accutane (isotretinoin) at higher doses for a short period of time (5-6 months).  I am told that in Europe it is used for almost a year at lower doses.  How long were you told you'd be on Roacutane?  Where are you in achieving your total dose of 120-150 mg/kg?  Also, make sure you are taking your medication with a fatty meal.  Fat helps the drug be absorbed properly which improves efficacy.  Good luck!

Dina D. Strachan, MD