I Had a Mole Removed a Week Ago Using the Punch Method?

The pathology report came back benign with clear margins - but it did contain some atypical cells. What's the next step?

Mole removal

+3

That would depend on the specifics of the pathology report.  Usually if the margins are clear and it was benign, no further treatment is necessary.  Sometimes depending on the degree of atypia, further excision may be recommended for further treatment or to assure no recurrence.  Regardless, the area should be observed for any signs of recurrence.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Atypical mole

+2

Usually a mole that is removed and shows atypical cells needs a slightly wider deeper re-excision.  The other term for this kind of mole is a dysplastic nevus.  I would have to say that re-excision isn't absolutely necessary particularly if you are able to observe the site and re-excise if the mole returns.  For peace of mind most people elect to undergo a quick re-excision.

Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Mole removal with atypia

+1

Observation of the mole scar is the first and longterm step. Depending on the amount of atypia, conservative treatment or re-excision with larger margins is possible.

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/70/mole-removal.aspx

Mole removal

+1

Treatment really depends on the specifics of the pathology report.  I would discuss this with your physician that treated you.