I Have Maintained a 200+ Weight Loss for 8 Years I Want Excess Skin Removed. Will Anyone Operate?

I had WLS in 1999 and was over 500 lbs. I have lost over 230 lbs and kept it off for 8 years. I work out and am active. I have major issues with yeast infections and the daily routine of keeping the apron area clean is annoying and painful. I am currently still overweight, but I feel like a lot of my weight is this excess skin. Is there any Doctor that would be willing to operate on me to remove this excess skin even though I am still considered over weight?

Surgery when still 'overweight'

+2

can be done and I would be surprised if you had difficulties finding any local surgeons to help you.  As mentioned by others, there are increased risks when overweight but the bottom line is you have achieved and weight you are able to maintain and this is your 'ideal' weight.  That is the time when you have procedures to rid yourself of your excess tissues.  Invest the time and money for a consultation with a plastic surgeon experienced in the kinds of procedures you seek and also inquire about revision policies as you are certainly going to need them to achieve the best results that you can.

Excess skin after weight loss

+2

There are many plastic surgeons who do this kind of surgery and, as in your case, not all patients are able to achieve their "ideal" weight. You need to be aware that you are at higher risk of complications the farther you are from your ideal weight, however, the benefits of the surgery may very well outweigh those risks. Have an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to discuss these issues and whether you are a candidate for a panniculectomy. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Rashes from loose abdominal skin

+2

Excess skin in the tummy area can lead to uncomfortable rashes and irritation.  Even for those who are considered to be still overweight, there can be a tremendous benefit to a tummy tuck in terms of getting rid of this extra skin and rashes if you are otherwise healthy.  Many people find that getting rid of this uncomfortable loose skin also makes working out easier which can lead to more weight loss.  Good luck.

Will Anyone Operate

+1

At this stage, you might well be a candidate for panniculectomy, excision of the overhanging tissue. 

Although the risks are higher than they would be at say 200 pounds, it sounds like your weight is stable and not likely to change dramatically from hereon in, and all this counts in the balance of risks and benefits. 

There are surgeons who would be willing to take this on, others who would not, and calling around and arranging consultation should be your next step. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Skin

+1

You sound like a good candidate for a panniculectomy. You are also at a higher risk for having post operative complications

Abdominoplasty

+1

You should not have a problem finding a surgeon to do a panniculectomy(remove xs skin), or an abdominoplasty. Realize these are two different operations, and do not give the same results. Insurance may assist in payment for panniculectomy, but rarely will they pay for an abdominoplasty.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal Wall Surgery while Still Overweight?

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss thus far; hopefully you will  the able to continue your journey successfully.

Sometimes patients in your situation may benefit from panniculectomy surgery. This procedure serves to remove the lower abdominal wall “apron” (pannus);  it may be very helpful in eliminating infections and rashes.  Patients may also be able to improve their walking/exercise  efforts with the redundant tissues removed.

As you know, surgery performed while you are overweight will carry significantly more risk/potential complications;  you should consider the pros/cons carefully before making any decisions to proceed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Excess skin after weight loss when still overweight.

+1

From what you describe and from your history it certainly sounds as though you would benefit from surgical excision of the excess skin. Without photos or an exam, it's really impossible to say whether you would be a candidate for an abdominoplasty or a panniculectomy. I would definately see a plastic surgeon. You don't have to be an ideal weight to receive benefit from removing the excess skin. :) 

Remove Excess Skin when Still 200 lbs

+1

What you are describing is not unusual and can be done. I have treated more than a few patients in this type of situation. You may want to post a few pictures but it sounds like you could benefit from a panniculectomy, which in some cases may be covered by insurance.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon