I Had a Lower Body Lift 2 Weeks Ago, I Have Huge Amounts of Swelling (20lbs)! Is This Normal?

I had a Lower Body Lift 2 weeks ago, I have huge amounts of swelling (20lbs)! Is this normal?

Lowwr body lift and weight gain

+1

A 20 lb weight gain after a body lift is a bit unusual. Yes, you do retian some fluid after surgery, and yes you are not as active as before surgery, but that sound like a lot. You should probably see your surgeon and evaluate this.

Weight gain after body lift?

+1

Thanks for sharing. I must say that gaining 20 pounds seems a bit high and could represent higher than normal fluid retention somewhere on your body. This could include the operative site - as in a seroma. It could also be normal for you. It would be important to see your plastic surgeon sooner as opposed to later to evaluate the situation. You may need additional treatment. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Swelling Can Be Normal After Body Lift

+1

Yes, this can be "normal".  During and after your lower body lift surgery, your anesthesiologist and surgeon purposely give you lots of fluid.  After a 360 or circumferential lower body lift, your body's response is to hold onto fluid.  Once your body doesn't need all this excess fluid, your body will process the fluid and naturally get rid of it.  After a 360 lower body lift, this fluid retention can be for 2 to 3 weeks.  Just let your plastic surgeon know of your concerns, and let him or her examine you.  To minimize any more swelling, I would suggest compression from the rib cage to the toes and elevation of both of your legs .

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Had a Lower Body Lift 2 Weeks Ago,-- Swelling (20lbs)!

+1

I wouldn't call this normal, but it is not rare. 

Women after c-sections, delivering an 8 pound child plus similar weight of placenta often go home weighing more that when they were admitted. 

At two weeks I wouldn't necessarily expect this to persist to that level. I don't know from your question whether or not this swelling is abdomen, legs, etc. At any rate a call to your surgeon is in order. There are many possible contributers to this, some of which would demand attention, including, for example, blood clots to the legs, which are  a known risk for this type of surgery. Fluid collections at the surgical site is another possibility. No online consultant will be able to evaluate.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Swelling following lower body lift

+1

Thanks for your question.  A 20 lbs weight gain 2 weeks after a lower body lift is not normal.  Causes may include lymphedema in the legs or seroma or fluid collection under the skin, which needs to be drained.  Please make sure to follow up with your surgeon to determine the cause of the excess swelling.  He or she may order an ultrasound to determine the cause of the swelling.  Also make sure to limit your salt intake and to wear your compression garment as directed by your surgeon.  Take care and good luck!

Melinda Lirag Lacerna-Kimbrell, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon