I Have Lost 137 Lbs in the Last Year. Need to Have Stomach Lliposuction?

But I have more weight to lose. Should I have luposuction before I lose the rest of the weight. I have about another 100 lbs to go. My stomach is big.

Liposuction or Lose 100 lbs

+1

You should lose 100 lbs before deciding upon the procedure of liposuction.  After losing that much weight, you may need some procedures to remove loose skin more than liposuction.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Liposuction and Weight Loss

+1

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend you  lose the weight  you need  to first. However, if you've lost that much weight, there will be excess skin and your best option then  would be a tummy tuck. Be certain to be under the supervision of a board certified plastic surgeon who can review all of your options.  I hope this helps.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss & Liposuction

+1

I encourage my patients to be within 10-15lbs of their idea body weight before considering lipo. If you have lost that much weight, I am sure their is also a component of lose skin that won't be addressed with lipo. You may also have to consider a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) to obtain an aesthetically pleasing result.  Congrats on the weight loss!

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

137 pound wt. loss and surgery.

+1

It is preferable to be as close to your goal weight as possible before surgery which is typically within 10-15 pounds. Congratulations on such a wonderful accomplishment of losing 137 pounds and good luck with the next 100 you are attacking. 

I find that such a tremendous weight loss the skin does not retract as well as we would like and liposuction is not the correct procedure as the extra skin needs to be excised. Please discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon now to help you plan your future surgery. By starting to document medical issues of moisture, rashes, infections and possibly balance disturbances, you stand a better chance for medically necessary procedures covered by insurance.

Keep up the great job on your road to better health!

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Hello

+1

If you have lost 137 pounds Liposuction is not going to correct your tummy, the way you want it too. You need a tummy tuck to get rid of the excess skin. Without and exam it’s very hard to give accurate advice you need to see a PS to get adequate advice to get the results you are looking for.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Lost 137 pounds

+1
  • It is unlikely that liposuction will provide the change that you need
  • You will probably be much happier with abdominoplasty to remove the excess skin
  • If you are planning to lose more weight, I would recommend postponing the surgery
  • Try to delay surgery until you are within 10% of your target weight

James Shaw, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and liposuction

+1

In massive weight loss patient (>100# lost) it is my experience that liposuction does not help much in attaining the loolk that most patients want.  Often with this degree of weight loss, skin excess is much more an issue than is excess fat.  Without a picture is is difficult to determine though.  Make an appt with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and concerns.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon