Does I-lipo Ultra Work?

I've been hearing a lot about i-lipo where 8 sessions over a period of 4 weeks is supposed to be equivalent to liposuction. I've seen it advertised heavily in the UK and now it's being offfered in NYC and Canada. I can't find any expert commentary or reviews from people who have had it. According to marketer Zonelife's description: "The i-Lipo uses a low level light laser to stimulate the body’s natural processes emptying stored fat contents from the fat cells"...

Treatment is not what you think.

+6

Dear Labelwhore

Nice name.  Louis Pasteur said to a graduate student looking through a microscope: "Be careful what you look for, you might find it."  Wouldn't it be great if shining a light on your skin would get rid of fat.  No even better, we will make a really big show and shine a laser on the skin.  If you carefully read the i-lipo site, post treatment exercise is needed to make the treatments work!.  I assure you that it is more cost effective to by-pass the procedure and simply hire a personal trainer and you will most likely have weight reduction and contour improvement that is every bit as good as the laser treatment.

I Lipo is not a substitute for liposuction

+3

i Lipo is not an effective way to remove fat. There are no scientific studies showing that i Lipo works. Liposuction on the other hand is an effective and low risk way to remove unwanted fat.

David Stoker, MD

I Lipo yes it works, yes it is immediate! No its not for everyone! iLipo i-Lipo

+2

I own an i-lipo machine because it is the best in class.  There is no technology that can replace well planned and executed body contouring surgery, however many patients simply do not want to entertain surgery.   This technique should only be administered under the direction and supervision of a qualified plastic and reconstructive surgeon.   There is absolutely no question that there is a measurable change in waistline in patients with excess subcutaneous fat.  I do not believe that there is a huge difference in results between immediate exercise and no exercise when it comes to local results( the changes at the treatment site).   What immediate exercise does is help with global fat and actual weight loss.  The great thing about this machine is that it gives people a jump start on results and motivates people to keep their exercise regimen.  I hope this helps.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Does I-lipo ultra work?

+1
I am unable to find any scientific study to show that i-lipo works.  This is a product that you should avoid until there is definitive science proving that it works.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Ilipo compared to liposuction and other non-invasive fat reduction technologies

+1
ilipo is a low level laser similar to zerona. The theory is that fat gets expressed from the fat cells after laser exposure. Some of the experimental data from these low level lasers are interesting but clinical experience suggests that they do not lead to long lasting fat reduction. Fat is very susceptible to both cold and heat and devices such as coolsculpting which uses cold energy are well studied and clinically effective. Heating technologies using radiofrequency (Exilis, Velashape, Alma Vshape, Apollo, Trusculpt, Viora, Venus freeze etc) are also well studied and effective. Focused ultrasound is also very well studied and Liposonix and hopefully soon to be approved Ultrashape work quite well. Summary - do your homework and see an experienced physician who has knowledge of multiple technologies.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Comparing i-lipo to liposuction - Los Angeles

+1

Liposuction is such a refined procedure that it is hard to compare results of liposuction with less invasive modalities. i-Lipo may work, but does not compare well to mini liposuction or traditional liposuction in terms of results at this time. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Does I-lipo Ultra Work?

+1

There are so many “latest and greatest” options out there that are offered as liposuction alternatives. The truth is, not one of them delivers the gold standard results that more traditional forms of liposuction can. Compared to other types of surgery, liposuction has a minimal recovery time and virtually unnoticeable scarring. Plus, lipo offers outstanding, predictable results that have been tried, true and tested over many years by many surgeons.

My suggestion is to go with a procedure that has a great track record of delivering superior body sculpting, instead of risking time and money (not to mention your own health) undergoing a procedure that may or may not give you the results you want.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Does I-Lipo Work

+1

I-Lipo Ultra does not work. There is no data to support that it is anywhere near equivalent to anything like liposuction. This is another marketing hype.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Liposuction with external laser

+1

There have been attempts to reduce fat with external ultrasound and laser but there is a question as to the safety of releasing triglycerides in the body without liposuction removal. There may not be a long term reduction of fat cells as the fat can build up again. These type of new treatments deserve a good scientific study. Zeltiq involves the non-surgical reduction of fat by a one hour external cooling and killing of the fat cells which then get metabolized. This is a different mechanism of action and the scientific data is rather convincing.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Does i-Lipo work?

+1

Dr Steinsapir summed it up very well. But looking at the i-Lipo website:

The i-Lipo emits low levels of laser energy, which creates a chemical signal in the fat cells, breaking down the stored triglycerides into free fatty acids and glycerol and releasing them though channels in the cell membranes. The fatty acids and glycerol are then transported around the body to the tissues that will use them during metabolism to create energy. This process of fatty acid release is a natural response of the body when the body needs to used stored energy reserves, thus i-Lipo is not creating any unnatural reaction in the body nor does it affect or damage any surrounding structures such as skin, blood vessels and peripheral nerves. A period of exercise post treatment will ensure the complete metabolism and thus elimination from the body of the freed fatty acids.

So after i-Lipo, the fat has to get out of your body somehow and that means exercise. So why not just do the exercise?

Looking at the "Before & After" photos, most don't seem to show a significant difference.

Use caution with these noninvasive technologies until independent well designed studies are done.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS