I Have Had Lip Implants 2yrs Ago but my Lip is So Hard. Whats Gonna Happends to my Lip Shape if Itake It Out? (photo)

Removing lip implants

+1

If you had solid silicone implants, removing them is fairly easy. They can be removed trough the same small incisions on the side of the mouth by sliding them out.  Your lips obviously will get small and should return to the way they looked before you had them augmented.  

If your lips are hard from having silicone injections, then removing them is much more difficult and can be a problem.   That is why you should only use solid implants or inject the lips with a temporary filler like Juviderm or Restylane. Using your own fat to fill the lips is also a good option. Injection with a permanent substance is never a good idea anywhere in the body. 

Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Options After Removal of Lip Implants

+1

Patients who remove their lip implants due to hardness do so because of the way the lips feel, rather than how they look.  If you like full lips, it makes sense to consider replacing the firm implant with something soft.  There are many options, including Alloderm implant, fat grafts, a lip advancement, or injectable fillers.  On my website, there are some before/after photos showing lip advancements.  This procedure can give you more fullness witout an implant.   Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD

Lips after implant removal

+1

If you had a permanent implant such as PermaLip placed in your lips, then the implant can be removed through a small incision.  The problem is that you would then lose that volume.  I would suggest replacing that lost volume using fat or an injectable filler material until your lips settle following the implant removal.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Lip Implants

+1

It depends on what you had implanted or injected.  If you had Permalip implants, having them removed is an easy process.  They slide out nicely and your lips should return to their pre-implant look.  Your lips are nice and full now, you may want to switch them out for a smaller size rather than completely remove them.  If your lips are the result of a silicone injection, it's a totally different answer and can be a nightmare.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip shape after removing the lip implant.

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo. Removing the lip implants will create an empty space that will collapse. This will leave a smaller and possible deformed lip. My advice for you is to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.  Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Removing Lip Implants

+1

It is unusual to have hard lips after lip implant surgery.  If you are unhappy, discuss this with your surgeon, and have them removed.  Your lip will go back to the way it looked pre-surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD