I Would Like my Breasts to Have an Attractive Shape with Minimal Scarring, Which Procedure Should I Get? (photo)

My doctor suggests that i get an implant and a donut lift to achieve rounder breasts with higher nipples. This would cause my breasts to be bigger. Or, he suggests a full lift with implants that would leave the scar lines down the middle of my breasts.

Vertical lift is much more effective in providing a pleasing shape than the donut lift.

+2

You need a breast lift.  The donut lift is ineffective.  The vertical lift, that leaves the "lollipop" scar would be best for you.  You probably want to  have simultaneous implants to give upper pole fullness.  Have a look at some before and after photos so you can get an idea of the results and scars.  I've attached a link to this part of my website.  It is a good idea to insist on seeing plenty of before and after photos provided by your surgeon so you can decide if the results are to your satisfaction.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and scarring

+2
You do need a breast lift but a physical exam would be necessary to make a recommendation about technique. The augment is optional but it is important that the breast be able to sustain the extra volume without sagging. The "donut lift" is not for everyone because it may not produce enough lift to achieve a pleasing result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast lift and scarring

+2

If you just rely on your own tissue, you may need a vertical lift or anchor type incision. Perhaps with an implant you can get away with only a circumareola lift. I can't say for sure without an exam.

Minimal scarring, needs lift

+2

The problem with doing an enlargement alone is that the breast is highly likely to have an unattractive appearance since it will hang off the implant. The minimum lift incision would be a circle around the areola. However, with a minimal incision, you will get a minimum lift, perhaps not enough improvement. You will need at a consultation to listen to the options and consider if the advantage of a vertical incision in terms of better result is worth the added incision and scar.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Attractive breasts with minimal scarring

+2

you need a breast lift because your nipples and areola are below your inframammary crease. There is less scarring with the periareolar lift but less of a lift is also possible with this technique.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Scaring and shape after breast lift

+2

The fundamental thing that occurs with a breast lift is raising the position of the nipple on the breast.  To do that, at the very least, an incision around the areola is necessary. Those scars usually heal pretty well.  Depending on how far the nipple has to move up on the breast, it may be necessary to add a scar from the lower edge of the nipple to the crease underneath.  That vertical scar usually plays an important role in providing a nice shape to the breast.  Whether or not an implant is used depends on you.  

So there is the trade off.  You can improve shape and size but there will always be scars. Often times the scars are very inconspicuous but sometimes not.  It would be a good idea to review photos of the scars of patients who have had similar surgeries at your doctors office before you make your final decision.

Good Luck,

Dr. Hargrave

Douglas Hargrave, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

An Anchor Breast Lift Would Be The Most Beneficial

+1

If you do not want larger breasts then you can certainly have a lift without implants. If you don't mind or want a somewhat larger breasts then a small implant could be added. Because of the size of your breasts any lift will not be permanent but will be an improvement over what you have now. I am unimpressed with the results of a donut lift for a patient like you and would recommend an anchor. Scars will improve over time, particularly the vertical one, and this can be done with or without an implant and should last the longest with the best shape.

Howard N. Robinson, MD

Your plastic surgeon has present you with good options

+1

Thank you for the question and photo.  You will first have to decide for yourself what is most important to you since the best shape will require a vertical incision down your breast while a circular incision around the areola alone will provide minimal scarring but less shape improvement.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD