I Am Considering Laser Treatments and Cannot Figure out the Difference Between BBL, IPL, Profractional Laser and Pearl?

Is there a difference? If Pearl is just a brand name for IPL, that might explain why it seems to be more expensive? Please clarify if possible. For best quality and best value/pricing, should I go straight to a dermatology office or is it okay to go to a laser center?

IPL, BBL Profractional laser and Pearl laser

+1

IPL and BBL are non-coherent light sources, not lasers, and treat red and brown spots in the skin and stimulate some collagen.  IPL is a more advanced procedure than BBL since different wavelengths of light can be chosen, according to patients' needs.  The Profractional and Pearl lasers are more aggressive devices that are true lasers that can treat brown spots, scars and stimulate collagen, but do not treat red spots.  You should have your skin assessed by a board certified dermatologist who performs all of these treatments and who can decide which treatment would be best for you.

Toronto Dermatologist

I Am Considering Laser Treatments and Cannot Figure out the Difference Between BBL, IPL, Profractional Laser and Pearl

+1

All of these are different and used for different purposes in treating the skin. Some are for discolorations - BBL and IPL. These are light treatments that target red and brown discolorations and uneven pigment problems in the skin. Profractional and Pearl are semi-ablative/ablative procedures primarily used for uneven tone (like acne scarring) and general skin texture problems. (Pearl is made by the company Cutera, but it is an ablative skin procedure and its pricing is costlier usually because the equipment just costs more, quite frankly.) What you need to do is have a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist to go over what you want to address and have corrected. Then he or she can help you decide which treatment or combination of treatments will work best for you. I always suggest a board-certified dermatologist at least be involved in your care, rather than just a laser center with any physician overseeing it, because I've seen thousands of patients in my offices over the years treated with lasers at offices for things that quite frankly are untreatable with lasers. Thus, it's important to find out what you have, why you have it, and then work with a dermatologist to go over the right options for you.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD