I Had an Infection After Breastlift Combined with Silikone implants, How Long Do I have to Wait to Put Implants Back In?

Over a month ago, I finally got the money to get a breastlift and get silicone at the same time after having two kids. Of course, I got an infection in my left breast, and 12 days after my surgery I had to remove my implants(cause there was a little hole in my breast, and the doctor could see right in to the implant), so I had a 2.surgery that day. Now I am healing really nicely, the doctor was suprised how fast it went. Do I really have to wait 6 monts to put them back? Reguardless?

Breast Implants

+1

It is important to allow the whole inflammatory process to settle before attempting to put a foreign body into the body again

Infection after implants

+1

Sorry to hear about the problem. It is best to wait at least 6-9 months before trying this again. The tissues need to soften to allow the surgery to go uneventfully.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Infection after implants

+1

If you had an infection with an implant, it is wise to wait 4-6 months for things to "cool down" and heal.  Follow your surgeon's directions.

Trust your doctor

+1

I also would recommend waiting for 5-6 months. It's the safest thing to do. Why take a chance? It's hard to be patient for sure.

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon

Infection after breast augmentation

+1

Infection after augmentation can be devastating for patients, thankfully it is a relatively rare complication.  In general, the longer you wait, the better.  Many Plastic Surgeons recommend waiting atleast 3 months for replacement.  In the interim, it is important that you do things to reduce your risk for future infection- healthy diet, addressing any other medical conditions, and most importantly, that you do not smoke.  As always, it is important that you consult a reputable, board-certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes!

Jarrod Little, MD

How Long Do I have to Wait to Put Implants Back In?

+1

Sorry to hear about your post-op troubles. Your surgeon was correct in removing the implants and delaying their replacement. There is no unanimity among surgeons as to how long to delay to allow the body to clear out all the bacteria. I recommend three months after the incision is closed with no drainage at all, which usually means four months. 

I would stick with your surgeons recommendation which is designed to minimize the chance of going through this again. 

Thanks and best wishes. 

How long after infection to replace breast implants

+1

Sorry to hear about your infection. The soft tissue of the beast, including the skin and breast tissue, changes dramatically after an implant infection or exposure. It takes a significant amount of time for these changes to resolve. The rule of thumb for replacing the implants after an infection is at least 4 months after the infection resolves. Replacing the implants earlier than this would increase the risk of recurrent infection and also hinder your results. However, waiting additional time will allow the breasts to further normalize and could improve your ultimate result.

It is probably best to follow your surgeon's advice and give it as much time as possible. I know that it is hard to wait, but the results will ultimately be worth it.

Jeff Rockmore

Jeffrey Rockmore, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon