I Am Not Happy with Shape and Size of my Ears? (photo)

Hi , I am a male in my mid 40's and have not been happy with shape and size of my ears for some time - will otoplasty be successful at my age and what is the likely cost ? thanks

Otoplasty Cost and Success

We routinely perform otoplasty for patients 40 or more. The results are excellent.

The costs for otoplasty varies significantly around the country. Our cost for otoplasty ranges from $2500 to $5000 + MD Anesthesia Related Costs (if necessary). More expensive cities such as New York or Los Angeles or areas with fewer board certified plastic surgeons may be more expensive.

To maximize value while maintaining quality, consult with board certified plastic surgeons that own their own AAAASF nationally accredited facility, These surgeons must maintain the highest quality to keep the accreditation, have greater incentive to ensure a higher caliber of staff who detailed knowledge of plastic surgery procedures, will maintain comfortable and safe operating facilities to maximize patient referral, and ensure minimal waste to keep costs to a minimum.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Otoplasty for patient in their 40's

An otoplasty can be performed when a patient is in their 40s to reduce the projection of the ears.  It will not alter the size of the ears.  The cost of an otoplasty is around $4,200 which includes the operating room and surgeon’s fee for performing the procedure.  Most otoplasty surgery is done under local anesthesia.  An additional fee of around $600 is required if the patients desire general anesthesia.

Not Happy with Shape and Size of Ears?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

It will be important for you to specifically define what it is about your years that you do not like. Keep in mind, that otoplasty surgery is designed to set the ears further back towards the scalp. It is not clear to me, based on your photographs, that your ears sit too far forward in relation to your scalp.

Your photo does demonstrate a somewhat underdeveloped anti-helical fold area;  this can be corrected surgically, if that helps you achieve your goals.

Generally speaking, I would suggest that you be very careful about any surgical intervention that is not indicated or exposes you to unnecessary risk/complications.

Be careful…

Otoplasty for Adults

I can see by your photos that there is some asymmetry with your ears. Otoplasty can correct your areas of concern, but no two ears will every be exactly the same. Otoplasty can be done with IV sedation, which is a bit more costly but also more comfortable for the patients, or the procedure can be performed under local anesthesia. There are many different ways that plastic surgeons to perform otoplasy, so make sure you pick an experienced doctor. I've provided some additional information below on otoplasty techniques and other information regarding the surgery.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty for large ears.

Your ears after an otoplasty will be closer to your head and the shape can be made more symmetric but not perfectly the same. The cost varies by the amount of time it takes.

Otoplasty works well in adults

Otoplasty is often a procedure performed in children but adults can benefit from this surgery also.  From your photo, I am guessing that the top of your ears protrude a bit more than you would like.  This procedure is fairly easy, from a patient's standpoint.  Most often, with adults, it is performed in the office under local anesthetic.  The cost will vary depending on where you live but a ballpark figure for both ears would be $3,000.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ear Asymmetry??

Yes, there is a difference between your right and left ears but, tear asymmetry can be  common. Consider writing down the three things you do not like about your ears. For example, the ear lobule on the right does not look like the left. Then, take your concerns to a plastic surgeon to address. Yes, most likely something can be done but, make sure your concerns are addressed with your surgery/ surgeon. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon