I Am Having Fully Under the Muscle. What Kind of Recovery Time?

I am having fully under the muscle saline implants, this was explained to me as under 4 different muscles. I have an 8 month old weighing over 20lbs. I have help for 9 days but after that I'm on my own. Will this be enough time to recover enough to carry my child? (I'm hoping for at least 450 cc's per breast.) Thank you.

RECOVERY

+2

9 days is enough time of recovery to start lifting your 8 month old 20 pound child.

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Recovery

+2

Typically recovery from breast augmentation surgery does take a bit more time. On average at least 4-6 weeks should be allowed for the patient to adequately recover prior to beginning any lifting. Initially after surgery all upper body movements or lifting should be minimal. Should the recoverying patient do more than this they ultimately run the risk of increased muscle spasams, capsular contracture, or even delayed wound healing (among other things which can be discussed at length with your plastic surgeon). I advise that some women carry something smaller for a handbag while they recover because the weight of most womens' purses exceeds 5 lbs.  This is definately something to discuss with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery because you do not want to do anything that could compromise your recovery.

I hope this helps you and good luck

Fadi Chahin MD, FACS

Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Surgery

Diplomat, American Board of Plastic Surgery

Fadi Chahin, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation recovery

+2

With appropriately sized implants and technique, recovery in less than 24 hours is common.

I would go easy with lifting and physical activity for at least a month, but doing normal things (carrying a baby, etc) should not present a problem once your help leaves.

This is a great discussion to have with your surgeon, though - if he/she doesn't feel you'll be ready based on his/her past results, it may be wise to postpone until you have adequate assistance.

Hope this helps,

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

Sub muscular placement of breast implants requires a longer convalescence than sub glandular.

+2

It sounds like your surgeon is planning to put your implants underneath both the pectoralis muscle in the serratus. This is a fairly aggressive approach to breast augmentation. The convalescence will be significant.

+2

Since most of us do subpectoral implants, this may be a bit out of our personal experience. It would be best to ask this to your own surgeon. FOr standard subpectorals, nine days of in home help should be enough. It may  be painful to left your infant, but harm is unlikely. 

Thanks and best wishes for an uneventful recovery. 

Fully Under the Muscle Breast Augmentation

+1

I think you will have a quick recovery, say 5 to 7 days before you can lift your baby.  What makes me nervous about your question is the "full under the muscle". I am not aware of anyone who does that unless you have had a mastectomy.  You need an implant that is partially under the muscle.  That is the operation that 99% of PS do.  Don't get something "new". 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

4 to 6 Weeks Before Lifting Child after Breast Augmentation

+1

In general, I recommend that my breast augmentation patients not lift anything greater than 5 lbs for at least 4 weeks.

Breast augmentation and lifting a small child

+1

First, I do not perform full muscle coverage breast augmentation because I feel that the implants sit too high on the chest without releasing the pectoralis muscle. I also prefer that my patients avoid that type of lifting for at least 3-4 weeks.