I Have a Few Lines on the Side of My Cheek?

I have a dimple on my cheek and now that I'm older when I am not smiling you can see the lines. Can I get botox in that area? 

Botox and Cheek lines

+2

Unless you have some really unusual lines botox would not be what you are looking for.  If you paralyze the muscles in your cheek that are making those lines then you will have a crooked smile.  You probably want fillers or some sort of skin treatments.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Re: Lines on Side of Cheek & Belotero

+1

Since you are noticing the lines when your face is at rest, this means they are statically etched onto your skin.

Botox doesn’t affect wrinkles directly. Instead, it relaxes the muscles that contribute to skin creasing.

It is actually recommended for areas of the upper face such as crows feet, frown lines between the brows and forehead wrinkles.

Injecting them in the muscle areas that are responsible for smiling can possibly affect common motor activities (e.g. ability to smile, eating speaking)

The lines that you are noticing can be addressed with fillers.

Here is a similar patient who wanted to get rid of a vertical line on her cheek. Since the line was very shallow, Belotero was the best choice

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox may or may not be for lines in cheek

+1

If you are not not happy with your dimple, I would suggest considering dermal fillers such as Juviderm, Perlane or Radiesse is that area.  Botox can be used for dimples in some circumstances, but must be done very carefully.  Your physician would need to assess the location and cause of your dimple and exercise good clinical judgement is determining the best course of action.

Daniel Townsend, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox into cheek lines

+1
Botox is usually not get injected into cheek muscles. The best treatment option for cheek lines would be fillers or rejuvenating laser treatments, for example, Fraxel.

Michele S. Green, MD

Botox For Cheek Lines

+1

It is unlikely that placing botox in the crow’s feet, which is where it is typically used to relax the smile lines, will be enough to relax a dimple.  Putting enough botox to relax a dimple that is accentuated when you smile, may actually cause the corner of your mouth to drop and cause more functional defects. I would consider seeing a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, to see if a combination of botox and volume enhancement may help, but a dimple is secondary to muscle/ligament adhesions to your skin, and therefore you can’t truly eliminate the dimple unless you sever those adhesions. Anything else you do, can just improve the appearance of the dimple. Good luck.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating lines on side of cheek

+1

Botox or other neurotoxins such as Dysport or Xeomin are not well suited for treating lines on the cheeks. Best to have them examined in person by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon to determine the best treatment option, which is likely a filler, and occasionally chemical peels. I doubt microdermabrasion would help.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Cheek lines are best treated with fillers or chemical peels.

+1

Cheek lines can often be erased with a good TCA chemical peel for roughly $750 or filled in with a filler such as belotero, restylane or juvederm for $550/syringe. Botox does nothing for cheek creases usually. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler and Cheek Lines

+1

Botox is typically not used to correct lines in the cheek.  However, the lines may be amenable to filler, chemical peel, laser, or facial fat grafting depending upon depth and skin pigmentation.

Cheek lines

+1

As we get older cheek lines can become more prominent. Sometimes laser peels or skin care product can soften these lines.

Fill Cheek Dimple

+1

Hi Nicole.  It is more likely that you would need Perlane, Radiesse or Sculptra in the cheeks.  Botox is a great product, but it will not give you the filling effect you need in the cheek area to address your concern.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD