I Fell Asleep Without my Compression Garments 3 Days Post Abdominal and Submental Liposuction. Did I Ruin my Result?

I now have aditional swelling under my chin. Should I use ice?

Fell Asleep without Compression Garment

+2

This should not have any effect on your final result.  Obviously, talk to your own plastic surgeon about this but since some surgeons no longer use compressive garments, or use them rarely, it is unlikely that a few hours without will affect your result.  Swelling will go up and down anyway, and even more so if the garment has been off for a while but in terms of the final result - I would have a very low level of concern for this.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Forgot to wear the compression garment after liposuction

+2

Never fear, you absolutely did not hurt your final result.  Post operative compression helps control post operative swelling until your body recovers from the operation and lymphatic and venous drainage have returned to normal.  If you ask ten of us on this website how long we maintain postoperative compression garments, I bet you will get ten different answers.  What I tell my patients is that it is like jogging or walking to a destination.  You will get there with either method, it just may take a little longer.  During your early recovery from liposuction, you will find that the compression garment helps to support your tissue and makes it feel less swollen to a point.  At the end of the day, no matter what, you will probably feel really swollen.  You then go to bed and the next day the swelling will have subsided.  You do this cycle for weeks and weeks with gradual improvement.  Hang in there and rest assured that you have not harmed your final result.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

You did not effect your result

+2

Wearing the compression garments will quickly get the swelling back under control. Hope you enjoyed your nap. All is well.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

No Compression Garment for a Few Hours after Liposuction

+1

This may not have any effect at all.  The only danger of going a period of time without the compression garment is the development of a fluid collection.  Always check with your plastic surgeon.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA