I Did Rhinoplasty the Third Time. Transplantation of Cartilage from the Ear, Open Rhinoplasty?

I did rhinoplasty .. the third time. transplantation of cartilage from the ear .... open rhinoplasty ... A year has passed but the swelling was still at the tip .. and seal in the form of bumps on the side of the tip of the nose .... How to deal with swelling ...

Still swollen following revision rhinoplasty

+1

Sorry to hear about the residual swelling you are experiencing following your surgery. In general, the final result of a rhinoplasty may not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. 70 % of the swelling resolves after the first three months, and the remainder goes down over time. Swelling is most directly influenced by thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was a revision, whether tip work was performed, and whether or not the procedure was open or closed. So in your case, since you had an open surgery and it is your third revision, you will be swollen for longer. Swelling is one of the more difficult things to deal with following your procedure, and you really just have to be patient. I hope this helps, and best of luck with the remainder of your recovery!

Residual swelling after rhinoplasty is expected

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is perhaps the most difficult plastic surgery operation because the forces of scar contracture are highly unpredictable. Swelling after a primary open rhinoplasty can take up to a year to dissipate, and in cases of revision, this time can even be longer. With gentle message and dilute kenalog injections one can expeditate the scar remodeling process. Still the nose changes with time and most small imperfections go away. Regular visits with your surgeon can help ease your mind and reinforce the overall post surgical plan.

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling is normal

+1

Any rhinoplasty interrupts how fluid drains from your nose.  This fluid, lymph, can accumulate and cause persistent swelling.  This is especially true after revision rhinoplasty.  Time, warm compresses (not hot!) and the judicial injection of Kenalog (a steroid) can help.  Ice only works for the first few days after surgery. This is all normal.  Talk to your doctor before you do anything.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Revision rhinoplasty patients may have swelling that persists longer than primary rhinoplasty patients because of the additional disruption of lymphatics.

Third time rhinoplasty

+1

It is common to have extended swelling to the tip of the nose even up to 1.5 years after a tertiary rhinoplasty. That being said I would go back to your surgeon to address your concerns and make sure everything is healing appropriately. Sometimes judicious steroid shots can help with swelling but I would defer to your surgeon's judgement.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon