I Am a Diabetic Type 1 with A1C 6.5 Can I Get a Smart Lipo on my Stomach?

I am a diabetic type 1 with A1C 6.5 can i get a smart lipo on my stomach. I am not comfortable of the general anaesthesia so i wanted to know,if this can be perfomed under local anaesthesia.

Having Smartlipo with Diabetes

+1

A medical issue like diabetes should be well controlled before you have surgery, also be sure to have medical clearance from your doctor.

SmartLipo and Diabetes

+1

Great question and thanks for asking!  If your diabetes is under good consistent control, your risks of having SmartLipo should be low.  Always check with your primary care physician before having any surgery, however, just to be on the safe side.  Best wishes!

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo can be done for diabetics

+1

Any liposuction procedure should be coordinated with your internal medicine physician to ensure your condition is the best it can be.  Smartlipo of the abdomen can be done under local anesthesia.  Sometimes iv sedaction is a useful approach as well.  There is even evidence that fat removal with liposuction can reduce blood sugars in diabetics just like weight loss can.

Web reference: http://www.dkhoffmanmd.com

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and diabetes

+1

If you have medical issues like diabetes then you should make sure that your diabetes is well controlled and that you obtain medical clearance from your doctor.

Well Controlled Diabetics Can Safely Undergo Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Thank you for your quesiton and congratulations on the controll of your blood sugars.  Elevated blood sugars increases the risk of infection after surgery in diabtetics by about a factor of 2-3 due to glycosylation of the white blood cells that fight infection and other factors.  If your Hemoglobin A1C is below 7 then you have well controlled blood sugars and your risk returns back to someone without the disease.  Special precautions will need to be taken to keep your sugars under control around surgery.  Laser lipo under local anesthesia should be very safe and effective if you are an appropriate candidate. Best Wishes.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction in Diabetic Patients

+1

Liposuction can be performed on patients with type 1 diabetes.  Be certain to check first with your physician and see that your diabetes is under good control.  Although liposuction is not a treatment for diabetes, it has been reported that large volume liposuction can aid in reducing insulin resistance in some diabetic patients.  Anecdotally, I also have seen this decrease in insulin resistance in a number of my patients as well.  With regard to the type of anesthesia, if the area is not excessively large, one could consider local anesthesia with sedation.  Check with your surgeon to see if you are a candidate for this procedure.  Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.vincentleporemd.com

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo in Diabetics

+1

Performing SmartLipo in diabetics can be performed as long you are well-controlled.  You will need to be evaluated by your primary care physician prior to surgery.  SmartLipo can often be performed under local anesthesia especially for smaller areas.

Web reference: http://www.settyplastics.com/body-contouring-mckinney/smartlipo-triplex/

SmartLipo and Diabetes

+1

As long as your diabetes is well-controlled, you should be able to have SmartLipo.  I usually perform this procedure under local anesthesia, but it can also be done under sedation anesthesia.  A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon can help determine whether this procedure is appropriate for you.

Long Island Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo in diabetics

+1
if it's 1 area alone as the abdomen there should be a very little additional risk giving your medical condition.obviously this wants to be done in conjunction and coordination with your medical doctor.good luck and I'm sure it will go well.
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo and Diabetes

+1

Liposuction can be performed in well controlled diabetics, provided that no other health problems exist.  I usually require medical clearance for the surgery.