I Was 6 Days Post Op of my Trunk Lipo. When my Ps Removed my Garment & Pads, This Was the Shock. (photo)

I'm trying to soak in the tub 2 to 3 x's and adjust the garments constantly when in them ..what else can help while it is still early?

Post Op

+2

It is important not to have any folding or indentions of the garment.  At 6 days post operation you will have significant swelling so the indentions you have may improve.  Wait 3-6 months before you make any decisions on the outcome. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck to Treat Excess Fat and Skin

+2

With limited information about your consultation and pre-op appearance it is difficult to make comments that might be more helpful to you. I assume your concerns relate to the appearance of your abdomen. The picture you included shows some skin laxity -- present as some skin wrinkling in the central and lower abdomen, as well as some hanging skin in the lower abdomen. The shape of your abdomen suggests to me that you had at least a moderate amount of subcutaneous abdominal fat; but only an exam would determine if you have visceral (intra-abdominal) fat. The result of your suctioning appears to be irregular as the right lower area is depressed / indented compared to the left lower area. There may be some lumpy areas around your belly button. You are quite swollen now and some minor irregularities are not uncommon after surgery. Some of the more subtle contour changes may improve as the swelling resolves.

The loose / lax skin you now see is a sign that you probably should have had liposuction and a tummy tuck. I don’t know what you were expecting for your post-op results, but those should have been discussed thoroughly with you in conjunction with your treatment options so that you could choose the best operation to meet your needs.

I do not understand why you are soaking in a tub, but would advise against it. If your post-surgical compression garments do not fit properly then you should speak with your physician about obtaining some that do.

There is nothing that can be done right now to address your problems. It is best to wait at least four months (six months is probably better) for the swelling to resolve and the healing process to continue. During this time you may find that your skin laxity, skin wrinkles, and hanging skin become more evident. After the swelling is completely resolved your concerns can be addressed and new options presented based upon the appearance of your abdomen and other important physical exam findings. You may also find it helpful to seek a second opinion about revision surgery, in addition to speaking with your current physician.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Kenneth Dembny, II, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with loose skin can cause regrets

+2

So early after liposuction, your photos show skin laxity that might have been better off with the tummy tuck rather than liposuction. Some skin improvement can be seen as you continure to heal though.

I Was 6 Days Post Op of my Trunk Lipo. When my Ps Removed my Garment & Pads, This Was the Shock.

+2

Not real clear what you are asking. Was it being toiled 6 days post op that you needed a compression garment or are you asking other things to improve your results? 

Tummy Tuck was Indicated

+2

It is hard to make definitive statements based on the one picture and limited information. However, it does appear that you would have been better served by a tummy tuck rather than liposuction.  Additionally, do I understand you correctly that you are soaking in a tub?  I would not recommend this either.  At this point, I would suggesting waiting several months for the swelling to resolve and the tissues to settle.  In the mean time, you may consider lymphatic massage and continue with the garments.  However, I suspect, the you will still need a tummy tuck to achieve the best results.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

6 Days after Liposuction and Skin Issues

+1

It is important that the garment not bunch the skin.  It is also important that the garment be worn snugly and that it covers all of the liposuctioned areas.  If you had poor skin before surgery, the skin will not improve with liposuction.  If your skin was good before surgery, it is likely that at 6 days this look will improve with swelling dissipation and proper followup and compression wear.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Unhappy with Tummy Appearance After Liposuction

+1

Success in Cosmetic Surgery depends on
- doing the Right Operation
- on the Right people
- in the Right Sequence

It seems to me that you may have required BOTH liposuction AND a Tummy Tuck but did not expect the result you are seeing now - saggy, hanging, deflated and bruised skin. IF the operation was done properly and the fat was nicely sculpted, as the swelling comes down in the next few months, your bruising will resolve and you will see a great improvement in clothes. For completion of your presumably intended flat-tummy result, you would still need to undergo a Tummy Tuck.

At this point it is too soom to freak out. Stay in contact with your surgeon and follow his instructions closely.

My Plastic Surgeon Recommended A Tummy Tuck - I Went For Lipo First. What This The Right Decision?

+1

Retrospectively, doing your tummy tuck first probably would have been the best idea.  However, you are thinner now.  Your skin will shrink over time.  Things will improve, but I am pretty sure you will be much happier once you have a tummy tuck. 

In my practice, patients who opt for liposuction first need to promise me they will get a tummy tuck if too much skin remains after the liposuction (often times, I get this promise in writing). 

As a sidebar note, I think it is a bad idea to be soaking in a bathtub early after liposuction, since the incisions are rarely water tight and there are parts of your body soaking in that very same tub that have bacteria that you don't want to get into your unhealed incisions. 

At this point, in my practice, we do ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles) 3 times per week to shrink the injured tissue and improve contracture and wound healing. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs. tummy tuck

+1

its a very important clinical situation where some surgeons might prefer to do liposuction first and then consider Tummy tuck while others might opt for tummy tuck right away. if I were your surgeon I would have referred you to a plastic surgeon for tummy tuck. as I do not do tummy tucks. with that said, its a bit early in your healing time so wait and see what happens over the next few months. good luck!

Misbah Khan, MD